Skip to main content

The Water Challenge


Ever since I donated my kidney in May, 2011, I have been much more aware of the need to drink more water.  Water is so good for your kidneys and when you're down to only one, you feel more protective of that kidney.

I've known for a long time that I don't drink enough water and other fluids.  For years, I've seen plenty of recommendations to drink 8-10 cups of water every day.  There's some debate about those numbers but I have found that my body works well on that amount. I have lots of motivation to drink more water:  it helps with digestion, urinary tract infections, kidney stones, and blood pressure.  When I have a cold, it seems like extra fluids help me feel better. 

In addition, every month we do blood work for my daughter's kidney and if the creatinine in her blood goes up, which shows kidney function, they want to know if she's getting enough fluids. If I'm concerned about my kidney, I'm even more concerned (read: paranoid) about my daughter's.

But knowledge is not the same as doing it.  I have times when I do better than others.  Being on a trip or away from home or being super busy makes it harder.  And sometimes I just don't think about it until I'm dying of thirst, and by then I'm already dehydrated.

I want to make drinking enough fluids a habit.  My plan is to tie it to things I do every single day.  I'm also going to measure and mark the cups I regularly use so I know how much a cup is.  Here's my schedule:

Wake up:  1 cup
Breakfast:  1 cup
Shower:  1 cup
Brush teeth:  1 cup
Lunch:  2 cups
Afternoon snack:  1 cup
Dinner:  2 cups
Brush teeth:  1 cup

There it is:  10 cups of fluids (milk, juice, but mostly water) every day.  Habits take 21 days to form.  So for the next 21 days I'm going to keep track and I'll report on this blog, sometime around March 27.  Check back!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hansen Family Reunion 2026, Wednesday and Thursday

 We had another Hansen Family Reunion at Bear Lake! In total, there were 93 of us there with 11 missing--our biggest yet! We enjoyed seeing everyone and catching up a little bit. Here are some pictures. My goal was to get a picture of everyone, so if you don't see a picture of yourself, keep scrolling. Also, more individuals coming on the post for Friday. Sorry for the weird angles on some of them. Michelle made dinner the first night, chicken and vegetables with Michelle's specialty--lots of sides and plenty of leftovers. After dinner and clean-up, we had a FHE lesson outside on the lawn with Melanie in charge of the lesson after a few raucous songs. The newest addition to the family, #103. On Thursday morning, Kent and Melanie chaired breakfast with eggs and sausage and plenty for everyone. The cook with his breakfast sandwich: After breakfast, some of the group went rock-climbing, courtesy of Everett, David, and Susanna while more people went on a hike--the Limber Pine Hike....

Visiting Susquehanna: The Priesthood Restoration Site

On our way home from Palmyra, we decided to go a couple of hours out of our way to visit the recently opened Priesthood Restoration Site along the Susquehanna River.  This is where we believe that Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery received the keys of the Aaronic Priesthood from John the Baptist which gave them the authority to baptize.  This site also has the restored Isaac and Elizabeth Hale home where Joseph and Emma lived for a year as well as the home where Joseph and Emma lived on their own. We spent a couple of hours there and I wouldn't have minded a few more minutes but we had a long way to go that night.  It's a beautiful setting, very much in rural Pennsylvania.  However, on the day we were there, cars at a racetrack nearby were detracting from the peace and quiet.  I'm guessing that's not as big of a problem on weekdays. The Hale Family was quite well-off for their day so their home was probably nicely decorated with wallpaper and carpet. ...

Nauvoo Pageant!

I have been a negligent blogger this last month.  My reason is that we have been super busy.  At the end of July, we went to the Nauvoo Pageant.  We were able to participate once again in the Gold Cast like we did in 2007 and 2014.  We picked up our daughter at the end of her cross country camp in Price, Utah on our way out of town.  Then we drove to our friends' house in Golden, Colorado near Denver to stay the night.  It was fun to reconnect if only briefly.  The next night we were in Lawrence, Kansas, visiting my brother and sister-in-law and their family.  That was also fun but short.  We left the next morning, attending nearby church before taking off.  We arrived in Nauvoo around 4pm with just enough time to have dinner at our cabin before going to our orientation at the pageant building. The next day we went to the pageant building to get our costumes and to learn how to do our hair in the 1840 styles. ...