Skip to main content

My Breakfast Schedule

Something great my mother passed on to me is cooking breakfast according to a schedule.  It may seem like a trivial thing and maybe even strange to a lot of people, but I have done it ever since I got married and it has been so helpful.  My schedule is not exactly the same as hers.  In fact, my husband tells a funny story from when we were first married and living in New Mexico.  We had oatmeal (which we call mush) on Thursday and then left that day to visit my parents.  We got up on Friday morning and my mom was serving mush.  I said, "I don't want to have mush two days in a row!"  My mom replied, "If you don't want to have mush for breakfast, Paula, you should know better than to come on a Friday!"  Yep, that's how it was.

Here's my schedule:

Monday, Thursday:  oatmeal, toast, fruit
Tuesday, Friday:  eggs, toast, fruit (and hot chocolate on Fridays)
Wednesday, Sunday:  cold cereal (and a smoothie on Wednesday)
Saturday:  pancakes or waffles with orange juice

Here are the reasons I have a schedule:

1.  We have variety.  I personally really enjoy a lot of variety in my meals and I could not eat the same thing every day for breakfast.
2.  My children get used to eating different foods.  Several of them don't like oatmeal but they take a small amount when I serve it and maybe they're learning to like it.  As for myself, I can only eat plain oatmeal with toast but with fresh peaches on it, it's one of my favorite foods.  One of my pickiest eaters loves oatmeal.  A few of them don't like eggs but they eat a small amount anyway.
3.   It's nutritious!  Dietitians always talk about how important it is to eat breakfast.  My kids always eat breakfast.  That is not a battle I have had to fight yet.
4.  I don't have to decide what to make every morning.  It's one less decision to make in my life.
5.  My husband loves breakfast so this makes him happy.
6.  It saves money.  Oatmeal is probably one of the cheapest breakfasts there is.  Eggs and pancakes are also cheaper than cold cereal.

The main downside is that my cooked breakfasts are not particularly quick and efficient.  I've started prepping the kitchen as much as I can the night before and that has helped to streamline things a little bit.  I can usually have breakfast ready for the first eaters in 10-15 minutes.

One breakfast tradition I have started is serving homemade granola along with the commercial cold cereals I buy.  I got the recipe from a Quaker Oats booklet a long time ago.  I make a huge batch, quadrupling the recipe, and it lasts close to two months.   I love the smell when it comes out of the oven.  I'm slowly reducing the amount of honey I put in it to see how much it really needs--but I haven't figured out the number yet.



Here's the recipe:

6 cups oats
2 cups coconut
1/2-1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
3/4 cup oil
1/2 cup honey (I tried 3/8 cup yesterday and it is still plenty sweet)

Mix first  four ingredients, then add oil and mix.  Then add honey and mix.  Bake in a large greased cookie sheet with sides at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until lightly browned.  Remove immediately from pan (or it will stick badly) and put in a storage container.  Add raisins as desired.  Stores well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hansen Family Reunion 2026, Wednesday and Thursday

 We had another Hansen Family Reunion at Bear Lake! In total, there were 93 of us there with 11 missing--our biggest yet! We enjoyed seeing everyone and catching up a little bit. Here are some pictures. My goal was to get a picture of everyone, so if you don't see a picture of yourself, keep scrolling. Also, more individuals coming on the post for Friday. Sorry for the weird angles on some of them. Michelle made dinner the first night, chicken and vegetables with Michelle's specialty--lots of sides and plenty of leftovers. After dinner and clean-up, we had a FHE lesson outside on the lawn with Melanie in charge of the lesson after a few raucous songs. The newest addition to the family, #103. On Thursday morning, Kent and Melanie chaired breakfast with eggs and sausage and plenty for everyone. The cook with his breakfast sandwich: After breakfast, some of the group went rock-climbing, courtesy of Everett, David, and Susanna while more people went on a hike--the Limber Pine Hike....

Visiting Susquehanna: The Priesthood Restoration Site

On our way home from Palmyra, we decided to go a couple of hours out of our way to visit the recently opened Priesthood Restoration Site along the Susquehanna River.  This is where we believe that Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery received the keys of the Aaronic Priesthood from John the Baptist which gave them the authority to baptize.  This site also has the restored Isaac and Elizabeth Hale home where Joseph and Emma lived for a year as well as the home where Joseph and Emma lived on their own. We spent a couple of hours there and I wouldn't have minded a few more minutes but we had a long way to go that night.  It's a beautiful setting, very much in rural Pennsylvania.  However, on the day we were there, cars at a racetrack nearby were detracting from the peace and quiet.  I'm guessing that's not as big of a problem on weekdays. The Hale Family was quite well-off for their day so their home was probably nicely decorated with wallpaper and carpet. ...

Nauvoo Pageant!

I have been a negligent blogger this last month.  My reason is that we have been super busy.  At the end of July, we went to the Nauvoo Pageant.  We were able to participate once again in the Gold Cast like we did in 2007 and 2014.  We picked up our daughter at the end of her cross country camp in Price, Utah on our way out of town.  Then we drove to our friends' house in Golden, Colorado near Denver to stay the night.  It was fun to reconnect if only briefly.  The next night we were in Lawrence, Kansas, visiting my brother and sister-in-law and their family.  That was also fun but short.  We left the next morning, attending nearby church before taking off.  We arrived in Nauvoo around 4pm with just enough time to have dinner at our cabin before going to our orientation at the pageant building. The next day we went to the pageant building to get our costumes and to learn how to do our hair in the 1840 styles. ...