Skip to main content

Glad to be a Mother

This spring-like morning as I went walking, I listened to a talk that Elder Quentin Cook gave at BYU yesterday:  https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/quentin-l-cook_banquet-consequences-cumulative-result-choices/.

It was an excellent talk and I highly recommend it.  His main theme is that Satan's goal is for people to see bad as good and good as bad.  One of the ways he accomplishes this is by devaluing children.  He said,  "The adversary has targeted women and painted motherhood as a dead–end road of drudgery."  But, he says that motherhood and having children brings great joy and happiness.  He said, "In raising children, there are challenges and sacrifices, but the rewards, both in this life and in the eternities, are breathtakingly beautiful."


One of my all-time favorite pictures.  I just wish Lincoln were in it but he was on his mission.

It helped me feel really good about my choice to have 9 children.  And it does bring me joy.  My happiest moments come when my family is all together and my children are enjoying one another's company.  I can only imagine what it will be like in the eternities.  This last summer it happened when we were all finally together again, just for a day.



I don't know exactly why, but I always wanted a big family.  I read "Cheaper by the Dozen" when I was maybe 10 years old and that was my dream--12 children.  Then I had one child and realized that it was much more difficult than I realized. It required a level of selflessness and discipline that I was unprepared for.  No way could I have had 9 children without my very supportive husband.  At times, I have wondered if I was really up to doing this.  But it has been and continues to be worth the effort.



I pray every day to be a better parent.  It is a huge responsibility and I want to do as well as I possibly can.  And hopefully enjoy it along the way.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hansen Family Reunion 2026, Wednesday and Thursday

 We had another Hansen Family Reunion at Bear Lake! In total, there were 93 of us there with 11 missing--our biggest yet! We enjoyed seeing everyone and catching up a little bit. Here are some pictures. My goal was to get a picture of everyone, so if you don't see a picture of yourself, keep scrolling. Also, more individuals coming on the post for Friday. Sorry for the weird angles on some of them. Michelle made dinner the first night, chicken and vegetables with Michelle's specialty--lots of sides and plenty of leftovers. After dinner and clean-up, we had a FHE lesson outside on the lawn with Melanie in charge of the lesson after a few raucous songs. The newest addition to the family, #103. On Thursday morning, Kent and Melanie chaired breakfast with eggs and sausage and plenty for everyone. The cook with his breakfast sandwich: After breakfast, some of the group went rock-climbing, courtesy of Everett, David, and Susanna while more people went on a hike--the Limber Pine Hike....

Visiting Susquehanna: The Priesthood Restoration Site

On our way home from Palmyra, we decided to go a couple of hours out of our way to visit the recently opened Priesthood Restoration Site along the Susquehanna River.  This is where we believe that Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery received the keys of the Aaronic Priesthood from John the Baptist which gave them the authority to baptize.  This site also has the restored Isaac and Elizabeth Hale home where Joseph and Emma lived for a year as well as the home where Joseph and Emma lived on their own. We spent a couple of hours there and I wouldn't have minded a few more minutes but we had a long way to go that night.  It's a beautiful setting, very much in rural Pennsylvania.  However, on the day we were there, cars at a racetrack nearby were detracting from the peace and quiet.  I'm guessing that's not as big of a problem on weekdays. The Hale Family was quite well-off for their day so their home was probably nicely decorated with wallpaper and carpet. ...

Nauvoo Pageant!

I have been a negligent blogger this last month.  My reason is that we have been super busy.  At the end of July, we went to the Nauvoo Pageant.  We were able to participate once again in the Gold Cast like we did in 2007 and 2014.  We picked up our daughter at the end of her cross country camp in Price, Utah on our way out of town.  Then we drove to our friends' house in Golden, Colorado near Denver to stay the night.  It was fun to reconnect if only briefly.  The next night we were in Lawrence, Kansas, visiting my brother and sister-in-law and their family.  That was also fun but short.  We left the next morning, attending nearby church before taking off.  We arrived in Nauvoo around 4pm with just enough time to have dinner at our cabin before going to our orientation at the pageant building. The next day we went to the pageant building to get our costumes and to learn how to do our hair in the 1840 styles. ...