Skip to main content

Why I'm a Mother

Every day when I pray, I am thankful for my 9 children.  But right after I say those words, I'm usually asking for help in being their mom.  Parenting is the hardest job you will ever have and it never stops even when your children grow up.  But here's why I love being a mother (with apologies for all the pictures of me).

1.  I always wanted to be a mom with a large family from the time I was a child.  I'm living my dream!

IMG_0192.jpg

2.  I'm keeping the commandment to have children. When I give the Lord an accounting of my life, my parenting is going to be a huge part of that conversation.


2008june17 023.jpg

3.  I get to practice my organization skills!  I like to solve problems through better organization--and there are lots of chances to do this with children.

27970_1469410216417_58994



4.  I learn new things all the time.  Any new challenge I have with my children usually sends me to the internet or to the library, looking for help.

IMG_3542.JPG

5.  It gives my life meaning.  What could I be doing that would be more important than this?

2008june17 036.jpg

6.  I get to practice character traits that (still) need some work. Traits like patience, self-discipline, patience, diplomacy, hard work, and more patience.  OK, I don't really love practicing patience but it helps me be a better, less selfish person.

fall2008 046.jpg


7.  I get to watch my children perform in lots of different venues and activities.

IMG_0334.jpg


8.  I get to hang out with my children and see the amazing people they are becoming. We get to go places and do things together.

20170428_163133.jpg


9.  I have more in common with my husband.  The challenges and joys we have been through together with our children bond us very strongly.


20140530_144953.jpg

10.  I get to think of new ways for my children to learn new things so they can become successful adults.  I constantly ask myself:  What do my children still need to learn and how can I help them learn it?


IMG_1612.jpg

11.  I'm not a perfect mother and that's okay.  I make mistakes all the time but my children are forgiving and I get to try again tomorrow.  At least that's what I keep telling myself.


IMG_5447.JPG


There it is, 11 reasons I love being a mother.  I am a better and less selfish person for the experience.  And now I get to be a grandma!

IMG_3736.JPG




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do Dots Family System

The original post was written in January of 2015. I wrote an update at the bottom of this post in March 2021. A few months ago, a friend of mine told me about something she was doing in her family to help her family function better.  Her teenage autistic son had been struggling a lot so they had been working with behavior therapists to help him and this "Do Dots Family System" had been recommended.  As she described it, I was greatly intrigued since it sounded like something I wanted to implement at my own house. I looked into it and decided to purchase it right after Thanksgiving.  Here is my review of how it has worked for us over the last six weeks or so. The basic idea of the chart is that children need to take care of their responsibilities before they get any privileges.  It strongly reinforces the concept of "Work Before Play" .  The chart helps children see in a very visual way that, until they have completed their responsibilities, they are on Level

Hansen Family Reunion 2024, Thursday afternoon

For lunch on Thursday, Lauren and Kurt made Cafe Rio which was delicious.  On Thursday afternoon, we had free time at the lake. Heidi and Aaron rented a pontoon boat and took people out for rides. This was very popular. Some of us went on the kayaks and/or swimming or just hung out on the beach.

2024 Hansen Family Reunion, Wednesday

Recently we had another Hansen Family Reunion at Bear Lake. We've been having these destination reunions since 2008. There were about 70 of us in attendance. Bruce and Michelle organized the activities and did a good job. I enjoyed myself! Hopefully lots of other people did too. We showed up on Wednesday afternoon and enjoyed a taco salad dinner, served by Neil and Kristie's family. We also worked on two mixer games:  a word search with the names of all 100 Hansen family members as well as a Bingo card that involved finding people with different attributes like recent high school graduation, birthdays in certain months, etc. The word search was definitely the most popular. Also popular was playing Nine-Square and Sandy Pickle (a cross between pickle ball and badminton). Thys and Katrina might have won! After dinner, we had an FHE activity/lesson. Liz had made a book with stories of the first ancestors to join the church. She had selected different stories for us to act out in g