Skip to main content

Happy Birthday, Jan!

 While these birthday posts take a fair amount of time thanks to all the scanning that needs to be done, I really enjoy seeing the pictures and thinking about the "olden" days when I had lots of cute little boys running around my house. Jan's birthday post is no exception!

Jan started kindergarten in Maryland when he was just 4. The school deadline was the end of December so I decided to go ahead and start him even though he was the youngest in his class. Here he is lined up at the bus stop with his good friend, our neighbor Chris, and brother, David:

Turning 5:
Being a dinosaur:
At the FDR memorial on the Mall:


After kindergarten, we moved to Utah. Scott took Jan and Garrett in the moving van across the country and they loved it, 1998:
With his three younger brothers, 1999:
On a camping trip in California, 1999:

Turning 7. Jan was a little reserved around other people but not at home. People would tell us how quiet he was and we would say, Hmmm. We haven't seen that so much.

This is one of my favorite pictures, Jan, age 7:
Holding his new baby sister:
David and Jan loved to build together. Bionicles were very popular at our house:
A horseshoe crab:
Starting school in Utah:
Visiting the hospital where Jan and Garrett were born in Wisconsin, summer 2000:



David and Jan loved to make frozen concoctions:
Visiting the Grand Canyon, 2000:
Glen Canyon Dam, Colorado River, April, 2000:
Here's the scrapbook page I made for his baptism:
J
Here is the story of what happened when Jan got glasses as he wrote it: "In August (2000) I got glasses and I forgot to pick them up (after jumping on the trampoline) and David ran over them with the lawn mower. So I got them repaired and then I lost them in September. Now I need to pay $25 for them and then I'll get new glasses. So I'm going to do extra jobs for them." I think he kept better track of them after that.

At Four Corners (Liesl is in background), 2001:
Jan's phases of the moon project, 2001:
Summer, 2001, I helped the boys make masks and then they put on a little play of Julius Caesar:



Hiking to Emerald Lake with David and Dad, summer, 2001:

Career goals in 4th grade. I guess he hasn't really achieved those goals. Maybe someday!
Turning 9 years old:
Getting his Bobcat:




Vacationing in Mexico, July 2002:
In winter 2002, the Olympics came to Salt Lake City. Jan wrote an essay (because his mother required him to) and got to go the biathlon--because he wrote the essay. Scott went too as a chaperone.
Holding new baby brother, Talmage, 2002:
2002 was Jan's year for accidents. Jan's school class was playing kickball in the cafeteria without shoes on so they wouldn't mark up the floor. He slipped in his socks on the slippery floor as he was kicking and broke his arm. Afterwards, when I was feeling frustrated that this was a preventable accident, I told the principal that going without shoes seemed like a pretty bad idea.
Earlier that summer on July 4, 2002, Scott took the oldest five boys on a hike to Stewart Falls. he let David and Jan climb up pretty high and Jan fell when they were trying to come back down. He got a cut on his forehead which had to get glued shut when he went to the doctor later. Hiking out was an ordeal.
Jan's 10th birthday, displaying his presents:
Halloween, 2003 (Jan was a black-eyed pea holding Talmage the clown):

Summer 2003, Visiting Lehman Caves at Great Basin National Park:
These pictures remind me of how happy we are that Jan is part of our family. Happy Birthday, Jan!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hansen Family Reunion 2026, Wednesday and Thursday

 We had another Hansen Family Reunion at Bear Lake! In total, there were 93 of us there with 11 missing--our biggest yet! We enjoyed seeing everyone and catching up a little bit. Here are some pictures. My goal was to get a picture of everyone, so if you don't see a picture of yourself, keep scrolling. Also, more individuals coming on the post for Friday. Sorry for the weird angles on some of them. Michelle made dinner the first night, chicken and vegetables with Michelle's specialty--lots of sides and plenty of leftovers. After dinner and clean-up, we had a FHE lesson outside on the lawn with Melanie in charge of the lesson after a few raucous songs. The newest addition to the family, #103. On Thursday morning, Kent and Melanie chaired breakfast with eggs and sausage and plenty for everyone. The cook with his breakfast sandwich: After breakfast, some of the group went rock-climbing, courtesy of Everett, David, and Susanna while more people went on a hike--the Limber Pine Hike....

Visiting Susquehanna: The Priesthood Restoration Site

On our way home from Palmyra, we decided to go a couple of hours out of our way to visit the recently opened Priesthood Restoration Site along the Susquehanna River.  This is where we believe that Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery received the keys of the Aaronic Priesthood from John the Baptist which gave them the authority to baptize.  This site also has the restored Isaac and Elizabeth Hale home where Joseph and Emma lived for a year as well as the home where Joseph and Emma lived on their own. We spent a couple of hours there and I wouldn't have minded a few more minutes but we had a long way to go that night.  It's a beautiful setting, very much in rural Pennsylvania.  However, on the day we were there, cars at a racetrack nearby were detracting from the peace and quiet.  I'm guessing that's not as big of a problem on weekdays. The Hale Family was quite well-off for their day so their home was probably nicely decorated with wallpaper and carpet. ...

Nauvoo Pageant!

I have been a negligent blogger this last month.  My reason is that we have been super busy.  At the end of July, we went to the Nauvoo Pageant.  We were able to participate once again in the Gold Cast like we did in 2007 and 2014.  We picked up our daughter at the end of her cross country camp in Price, Utah on our way out of town.  Then we drove to our friends' house in Golden, Colorado near Denver to stay the night.  It was fun to reconnect if only briefly.  The next night we were in Lawrence, Kansas, visiting my brother and sister-in-law and their family.  That was also fun but short.  We left the next morning, attending nearby church before taking off.  We arrived in Nauvoo around 4pm with just enough time to have dinner at our cabin before going to our orientation at the pageant building. The next day we went to the pageant building to get our costumes and to learn how to do our hair in the 1840 styles. ...