Skip to main content

Ups and Downs in the Garden, May 2025

 Here is what is growing in my garden and my house:

This is the spinach I planted last fall that has completely gone to seed with the warm weather. I need to pull it out and plant something else. I got some good spinach over the season but should have picked more. 



I have about 17 tomato plants in the ground. I used Walls of Water at first which helped them. When the plant starts outgrowing it, I take it off. Some of my walls are too old and if it's too windy, that can be a little rough on the plant. A lot of them are paste tomato plants.
Here is my cold frame bed that I kept covered over the winter. I planted kale and lettuce in early March. I have some cilantro in there as well. I had Tat Soi in it but it went to seed so I planted Bell peppers in their place. The weather is a little cool for the peppers still so I'm trying to keep them happy with the Walls of Water and milk jugs but I'm not sure how well it's working. I also cover it with the green row cover that is lying on the ground to the left when it gets colder at night (below 50 degrees). I planted my peppers too early in the house so they were getting really root-bound in their little pots and I felt like I had to plant them outside.
Here's my two little pepper plants crowded inside the Walls of Water. The stakes help them not get crushed by falling walls.
I picked some lettuce yesterday for our dinner today.
Here are my green beans. The ones you see I started in the house. There should also be some seeds sprouting soon. We planted seeds in the ground that are supposed to be better at germinating in cold soil. We'll see how they do. 
Here is my asparagus bed. We got a little asparagus harvest--I was not that impressed with how little it was. It probably needs more water throughout the summer than I give it. I planted a few more plants but it takes three years to mature so it's a slow crop.
My garlic plants are doing well. I planted those in November. We've used up most of the garlic we harvested last summer so I guess I didn't plant too much.
This bed has a few onions and beets. I planted some more beets and lettuce here yesterday.
I planted cucumbers and zucchini in this bed. They're struggling along. The milk jug is supposed to be protecting a tender basil plant. Basil plants get sunburned really easily so you have to adjust them to the outdoors slowly. Mine got pretty sunburnt but hopefully it will recover.
Here are my snow peas. I started some of those inside this year and planted some seeds outside too, around the middle of March. I have yet to pick any but I'm hoping for this week.
Here are the onions I started from seeds in January. I planted them outside in March.
Here are my strawberries. I'm not going to get an amazing harvest but we have gotten a few so far this spring. Growing strawberries is definitely not my strength but they are way sweeter (and smaller) than the ones in the store.
I'm excited about my grape vines which we planted two years ago. They haven't produced any grapes yet but this year they have a lot of little tiny grapes on them so hopefully we'll get some--in September when we'll have a lot of other produce to deal with! I hope to juice them and can them.

Here's what's inside. I have a few pepper plants and some zinnias, marigolds, and a basil plant. I also have quite a few tomatoes, pumpkins, cantaloupe, watermelons, and winter squash. Those vining plants seem the most susceptible to bugs so we will see how they do. If you want a tomato plant, let me know because I will not be planting all those in my garden. Some of these plants REALLY need to be planted outside but I'm waiting a few days until the weather is a little warmer.
I really prefer planting seeds inside because I have so much more control over the conditions and I have a much better germination rate. However, I did plant about 12 nasturtium seeds and none of them--as in zero--germinated, so they must have been old.

We also planted some corn seeds a week ago (outside, not shown) and those seeds are a little old so I'm not sure how well those are going to come up. 










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hansen Family Reunion 2026, Wednesday and Thursday

 We had another Hansen Family Reunion at Bear Lake! In total, there were 93 of us there with 11 missing--our biggest yet! We enjoyed seeing everyone and catching up a little bit. Here are some pictures. My goal was to get a picture of everyone, so if you don't see a picture of yourself, keep scrolling. Also, more individuals coming on the post for Friday. Sorry for the weird angles on some of them. Michelle made dinner the first night, chicken and vegetables with Michelle's specialty--lots of sides and plenty of leftovers. After dinner and clean-up, we had a FHE lesson outside on the lawn with Melanie in charge of the lesson after a few raucous songs. The newest addition to the family, #103. On Thursday morning, Kent and Melanie chaired breakfast with eggs and sausage and plenty for everyone. The cook with his breakfast sandwich: After breakfast, some of the group went rock-climbing, courtesy of Everett, David, and Susanna while more people went on a hike--the Limber Pine Hike....

Visiting Susquehanna: The Priesthood Restoration Site

On our way home from Palmyra, we decided to go a couple of hours out of our way to visit the recently opened Priesthood Restoration Site along the Susquehanna River.  This is where we believe that Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery received the keys of the Aaronic Priesthood from John the Baptist which gave them the authority to baptize.  This site also has the restored Isaac and Elizabeth Hale home where Joseph and Emma lived for a year as well as the home where Joseph and Emma lived on their own. We spent a couple of hours there and I wouldn't have minded a few more minutes but we had a long way to go that night.  It's a beautiful setting, very much in rural Pennsylvania.  However, on the day we were there, cars at a racetrack nearby were detracting from the peace and quiet.  I'm guessing that's not as big of a problem on weekdays. The Hale Family was quite well-off for their day so their home was probably nicely decorated with wallpaper and carpet. ...

Nauvoo Pageant!

I have been a negligent blogger this last month.  My reason is that we have been super busy.  At the end of July, we went to the Nauvoo Pageant.  We were able to participate once again in the Gold Cast like we did in 2007 and 2014.  We picked up our daughter at the end of her cross country camp in Price, Utah on our way out of town.  Then we drove to our friends' house in Golden, Colorado near Denver to stay the night.  It was fun to reconnect if only briefly.  The next night we were in Lawrence, Kansas, visiting my brother and sister-in-law and their family.  That was also fun but short.  We left the next morning, attending nearby church before taking off.  We arrived in Nauvoo around 4pm with just enough time to have dinner at our cabin before going to our orientation at the pageant building. The next day we went to the pageant building to get our costumes and to learn how to do our hair in the 1840 styles. ...