Skip to main content

Hiking the Timpanogos Trail

Recently I hiked the Timpanogos trail with two of my sons. The trail to the summit from the Timpooneke Trailhead is about 7 miles one way with about 4500 feet elevation gain. I was hoping to also go with my husband but his knee started hurting him the day before so he decided not to go. I met my boys at a parking lot near the mouth of the American Fork Canyon at 6am and we drove up together. Scott and I had reserved a parking spot at the Timpooneke Trailhead a few weeks before ($12) so when we arrived about 6:30, we were happy to be able to drive right in.  We were hiking in the dark for first 20-30 minutes but after that we didn't need our flashlights. It was cooler weather than we've had in a long time so we were happy to have warm jackets. I think temperatures were in the 40's for most of the day.

After a mile or so, we saw a moose! We were so close to him, I was a little scared he might charge us so the picture I got was not great. He crossed the trail right after we passed him. After we had hiked up a little ways, I got a better picture of him in a more open area.

We had really beautiful weather. We were worried about potential rain, especially because a 19-year-old young man had gotten struck by lightning the previous morning and died at the summit. Very sad. Fortunately, we saw some clouds but no rain or lightning.

After going a little more than 4 miles, I decided I didn't want to try to make it to the summit but the boys did, so I sent them ahead and hiked by myself. I went another mile and made it to the Timpanogos basin. I saw the saddle another mile away and the summit another mile after that, but decided this was a great time to turn around so I wouldn't be too crippled that night or the next day. I think I went about 10 miles total.





I think this is the summit from my view in the basin.



My boys sent me a picture when they made it to the summit. It looks like they're above the clouds which they kind of were. These two guys were giving out free hats to everyone at the summit. They're starting some new company and this was a promotion.


Meanwhile, I was enjoying the colors and views lower down, eating Sour Patch Kids, and listening to audio books while trying to ignore my tired feet and hips.





I got back shortly before 3pm and the boys arrived about an hour later. It was a good hike!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hansen Family Reunion 2026, Wednesday and Thursday

 We had another Hansen Family Reunion at Bear Lake! In total, there were 93 of us there with 11 missing--our biggest yet! We enjoyed seeing everyone and catching up a little bit. Here are some pictures. My goal was to get a picture of everyone, so if you don't see a picture of yourself, keep scrolling. Also, more individuals coming on the post for Friday. Sorry for the weird angles on some of them. Michelle made dinner the first night, chicken and vegetables with Michelle's specialty--lots of sides and plenty of leftovers. After dinner and clean-up, we had a FHE lesson outside on the lawn with Melanie in charge of the lesson after a few raucous songs. The newest addition to the family, #103. On Thursday morning, Kent and Melanie chaired breakfast with eggs and sausage and plenty for everyone. The cook with his breakfast sandwich: After breakfast, some of the group went rock-climbing, courtesy of Everett, David, and Susanna while more people went on a hike--the Limber Pine Hike....

Visiting Susquehanna: The Priesthood Restoration Site

On our way home from Palmyra, we decided to go a couple of hours out of our way to visit the recently opened Priesthood Restoration Site along the Susquehanna River.  This is where we believe that Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery received the keys of the Aaronic Priesthood from John the Baptist which gave them the authority to baptize.  This site also has the restored Isaac and Elizabeth Hale home where Joseph and Emma lived for a year as well as the home where Joseph and Emma lived on their own. We spent a couple of hours there and I wouldn't have minded a few more minutes but we had a long way to go that night.  It's a beautiful setting, very much in rural Pennsylvania.  However, on the day we were there, cars at a racetrack nearby were detracting from the peace and quiet.  I'm guessing that's not as big of a problem on weekdays. The Hale Family was quite well-off for their day so their home was probably nicely decorated with wallpaper and carpet. ...

Nauvoo Pageant!

I have been a negligent blogger this last month.  My reason is that we have been super busy.  At the end of July, we went to the Nauvoo Pageant.  We were able to participate once again in the Gold Cast like we did in 2007 and 2014.  We picked up our daughter at the end of her cross country camp in Price, Utah on our way out of town.  Then we drove to our friends' house in Golden, Colorado near Denver to stay the night.  It was fun to reconnect if only briefly.  The next night we were in Lawrence, Kansas, visiting my brother and sister-in-law and their family.  That was also fun but short.  We left the next morning, attending nearby church before taking off.  We arrived in Nauvoo around 4pm with just enough time to have dinner at our cabin before going to our orientation at the pageant building. The next day we went to the pageant building to get our costumes and to learn how to do our hair in the 1840 styles. ...