Skip to main content

Marriage is a Treasure of Infinite Worth

 
 
1989
 
 
2013

Recently my husband and I celebrated our 24th anniversary.  I used to think that was a lot of years of marriage but now I'm thinking it's really not.  We really did have color pictures back then but I guess my scanner is black and white.  We're not THAT old.

I'm so grateful to be happily married.  I wish everyone could have that blessing in their lives.  I feel so sad when I hear about unhappy marriages or divorces.  I won't say it's always been easy to be married.  We've had frustrating and challenging times, although it's definitely easier when your spouse is as unselfish as my husband is.  He really wants me to be happy.

Several weeks ago I heard a talk by Elder Whitney Clayton at our church's General Conference, which was about marriage.  The phrase that has stuck with me the most is: "...the best marriage partners regard their marriage as priceless."   I have found myself remembering that phrase when I'm with my husband.  And I want to keep thinking that.  My marriage is truly the most important relationship in my life after my relationship with God and I need to do everything I can to preserve it.  It's truly the best thing I can do for my children and for myself.  And I hope I can encourage others in their efforts to preserve their marriages.  So here's to marriage!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hansen Family Reunion 2026, Wednesday and Thursday

 We had another Hansen Family Reunion at Bear Lake! In total, there were 93 of us there with 11 missing--our biggest yet! We enjoyed seeing everyone and catching up a little bit. Here are some pictures. My goal was to get a picture of everyone, so if you don't see a picture of yourself, keep scrolling. Also, more individuals coming on the post for Friday. Sorry for the weird angles on some of them. Michelle made dinner the first night, chicken and vegetables with Michelle's specialty--lots of sides and plenty of leftovers. After dinner and clean-up, we had a FHE lesson outside on the lawn with Melanie in charge of the lesson after a few raucous songs. The newest addition to the family, #103. On Thursday morning, Kent and Melanie chaired breakfast with eggs and sausage and plenty for everyone. The cook with his breakfast sandwich: After breakfast, some of the group went rock-climbing, courtesy of Everett, David, and Susanna while more people went on a hike--the Limber Pine Hike....

Visiting Susquehanna: The Priesthood Restoration Site

On our way home from Palmyra, we decided to go a couple of hours out of our way to visit the recently opened Priesthood Restoration Site along the Susquehanna River.  This is where we believe that Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery received the keys of the Aaronic Priesthood from John the Baptist which gave them the authority to baptize.  This site also has the restored Isaac and Elizabeth Hale home where Joseph and Emma lived for a year as well as the home where Joseph and Emma lived on their own. We spent a couple of hours there and I wouldn't have minded a few more minutes but we had a long way to go that night.  It's a beautiful setting, very much in rural Pennsylvania.  However, on the day we were there, cars at a racetrack nearby were detracting from the peace and quiet.  I'm guessing that's not as big of a problem on weekdays. The Hale Family was quite well-off for their day so their home was probably nicely decorated with wallpaper and carpet. ...

Nauvoo Pageant!

I have been a negligent blogger this last month.  My reason is that we have been super busy.  At the end of July, we went to the Nauvoo Pageant.  We were able to participate once again in the Gold Cast like we did in 2007 and 2014.  We picked up our daughter at the end of her cross country camp in Price, Utah on our way out of town.  Then we drove to our friends' house in Golden, Colorado near Denver to stay the night.  It was fun to reconnect if only briefly.  The next night we were in Lawrence, Kansas, visiting my brother and sister-in-law and their family.  That was also fun but short.  We left the next morning, attending nearby church before taking off.  We arrived in Nauvoo around 4pm with just enough time to have dinner at our cabin before going to our orientation at the pageant building. The next day we went to the pageant building to get our costumes and to learn how to do our hair in the 1840 styles. ...