Skip to main content

Our Summer Schedule

I love schedules. There's just something about them that helps me feel a little more control over my life by setting aside a time for everything that needs to be done. I won't say I rigidly follow them because life just happens sometimes--okay, all the time--and trying to stick with them too tightly can make you crazy. And sometimes I just want to do something different. But schedules generally help me stay on track.

My summer schedule is my coping strategy that helps me teach my children important life skills that we don't have time for in the regular school year, helps us take care of things that really need to be done, and hopefully helps me enjoy them more. The schedule is actually more of a suggestion because several of my children will be busy with summer jobs (lawnmowing, etc.).  One of my children opted not to do summer swim team, so he's doing tennis instead which meets at a different time. So they'll just have to get their stuff done at different times. But this schedule gives them a basic structure.

When I make the schedule, I try to be generous with how long everything takes. The extra job should only take 30-45 minutes but I allow an hour. The daily job takes about 5 minutes and they have tons of time to get ready for the day. So if they're really motivated, they can get done a lot sooner.

The most important consideration when I make the schedule is what times I will be available to help them with extra jobs and practicing. In addition to having a reward for finishing, that's really the best way to make it happen. Things just don't happen as well if Mom isn't home or busy with something else. It can be chaotic at times when I'm trying to help everyone; fortunately the older children don't need as much help.  But the supervision helps it to happen.  I also reward the kids with computer time and time with friends when they're done.

As far as the extra jobs go, the cleaning assignment is a deep cleaning job. Every week I will try to focus on an area of the house that needs more cleaning. For example, one week we'll focus on cleaning all the blinds. Another week maybe we'll work on the kitchen cupboards, etc. The outdoor assignment involves watering, weeding, sweeping the patio, etc. The cooking assignment is something they would like to make or something we need for dinner like cookies, bread, muffins, etc. The youngest cooks start with making jello and they love it.

So here's the schedule and the extra job chart:

6:45am     Do daily job
7:00          Breakfast
7:15          Family scriptures
7:30          Get ready for the day, exercise
8:30          Extra job
9:30          Practice musical instruments
10:30        Snack, get ready for swim team
11:00        Swim team
12:30        Lunch
1:00          Read for 30 minutes, do math or writing
2:00          Free for the day!


Extra JobsMon.Tues.Wed.Thurs.Fri.
Make breakfast at 6:30, do dishesELMTS
Help Cam for 45 minutesSELMT
Outdoor assignmentTSELM
Cleaning assignmentMTSEL
Cooking assignmentLMTSE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Cousin Drew

 This last week, my brother and his wife lost a very precious son, just 13 years old. He collapsed while running with a cross-country team and passed away before he could be revived. Everyone that knew Drew is broken-hearted at this loss. He was the happiest, most agreeable kid we knew. I remember him being at my house without anyone close to his age to hang out with, so he found our Duplo blocks and started building even though it is a toy that boys his age don't usually enjoy. He was so content. He didn't complain that I ever remember. His mother always called him the perfect child. He will leave a big hole in not only his immediate family but our extended family as well.  Here is a poem my aunt shared that seems fitting: Leave Taking How I would have liked to wave goodbye  and watch until you turned and smiled and disappeared on the horizon. You who taught me to dance  and let me teach you,  who laughed at my stories  and winked at me when I was sad. I can  just see you trav

Remembering Drew

 This weekend we celebrated Drew's life. On Thursday night, we gathered as an extended family and had a dinner then sat in a big circle and talked about our memories of him. I took some notes and here is what people said. Grandpa (Gary Hansen):  The last time we saw Drew was last week on the 4th. I remember all the cousins on the trampoline, bouncing up and down and playing basketball. Grandma (Susan Hansen):  I asked Drew to come over last winter to teach my Activity Day boys how to make origami stars. He was very patient in working with them even though they were pretty clueless. Eventually they all went home happily with their stars. Paula: This last winter we invited Bruce and Michelle over for dinner and we didn't have anyone his age for him to hang out with. I remember that Drew found the Duplo blocks on his own and played with them all by himself, quite cheerfully entertaining himself. I asked him if he wanted to play with a different toy--maybe something more sophistica

Drew's Funeral

Yesterday was the viewing for Drew and then today was the funeral. There were a LOT of people at the viewing. Bruce and Michelle greeted people for almost four hours yesterday and then again this morning before the funeral. Bruce said that if weren't for Drew's death, it would be the best week of his life with so much love being shown to them. Friday actually began with a family run in Drew's honor. We started at a church by the new Lindon temple and ran to Bruce and Michelle's house with breakfast following. Friday night was the viewing. There was a very nice display of all things Drew. This was one of the pictures displayed and I recognized someone I know: We stood in line and the paramedics who worked on Drew stood in line behind us so we got to talk to them. Here's a fun fact:  They cover both Orem and Vineyard but Vineyard gets a lot more 911 calls than Orem per capita. It's a younger population and they are quicker to call. They said it's hard when the