Skip to main content

Homeschooling

I am what someone might call a homeschool dabbler.  Back when my oldest was a preschooler I read a few books by homeschoolers and I thought about doing it, but I just couldn't see how I could do it if I had more than one or two children.  Since then, I have homeschooled just a little bit--English for my 8th grader one year, afternoons for my 3rd grader one year, etc.  My biggest stint was a few years ago when I pulled my daughter out of second grade where things did not seem to be working well and homeschooled her full-time for the rest of the year.  It was actually good for me to finally do this thing I had been thinking about for so long.  I realized that it was just as time-consuming as I was afraid it would be.  And I also realized that I didn't really enjoy it very much.  It was hard to take time to teach my daughter for a couple of hours.  Every. Single. Day.

I think my daughter benefitted from that year at home.  The area she was struggling--math--definitely improved.  But I really like keeping my household running smoothly and getting all my errands and other jobs taken care of in a timely manner; homeschooling just didn't fit into my life as I knew it.  I was already pretty busy as it was. Perhaps if there was no other good alternative, I would get used to that life and I would start enjoying it more because I would have no other choice.  My other problem was that my daughter loves to talk and socialize and I had a really hard time meeting all her social needs.  I can only listen to so much talking before I need a break! Her siblings were at school all day as were neighborhood friends and I didn't find a homeschool group to join (not that I really looked).  I'm sure it would have helped to have a sibling also being home-schooled but that wasn't possible.  And I should mention that this was the year after my youngest's kidney transplant so we were visiting the doctor a fair amount, a time-consuming acitivity.

So why I am blogging about this?  I have decided to homeschool my 7th grader in English this year (one period or two seems to be a better match for me) and I am trying to find a good curriculum that won't require a lot of time on my part or be too expensive, but still be very thorough.  So I went to the library to try to find some books that would help me figure out how to do this.

I read/skimmed two books:  Homeschooling for the Rest of Us by Sonya Haskins and The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook by Dr. Raymond and Dorothy Moore.  Sad to say, these were not at all helpful.  I already know the very basics of homeschooling and meeting the legal requirements in my state.  These books relied heavily on anecdotal stories and didn't really talk about selecting a curriculum at all.  I am not interested in the "unschooling" movement and both of these books seemed a little biased toward that.  Both books talked about counting activities as teaching that I already do at home and that feels like a cop-out to me.  I'm trying to improve the school aspect of my children's lives, not the life skills part.

One of the reasons I want to homeschool is because I don't think school classes are using my children's time well and aren't asking enough of them.  I want my children to be really good writers and analytical readers and junior high English isn't cutting it.  So I'm going to keep looking and trying to find a curriculum that works for us.  More on that later...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Cousin Drew

 This last week, my brother and his wife lost a very precious son, just 13 years old. He collapsed while running with a cross-country team and passed away before he could be revived. Everyone that knew Drew is broken-hearted at this loss. He was the happiest, most agreeable kid we knew. I remember him being at my house without anyone close to his age to hang out with, so he found our Duplo blocks and started building even though it is a toy that boys his age don't usually enjoy. He was so content. He didn't complain that I ever remember. His mother always called him the perfect child. He will leave a big hole in not only his immediate family but our extended family as well.  Here is a poem my aunt shared that seems fitting: Leave Taking How I would have liked to wave goodbye  and watch until you turned and smiled and disappeared on the horizon. You who taught me to dance  and let me teach you,  who laughed at my stories  and winked at me when I was sad. I can  just see you trav

Remembering Drew

 This weekend we celebrated Drew's life. On Thursday night, we gathered as an extended family and had a dinner then sat in a big circle and talked about our memories of him. I took some notes and here is what people said. Grandpa (Gary Hansen):  The last time we saw Drew was last week on the 4th. I remember all the cousins on the trampoline, bouncing up and down and playing basketball. Grandma (Susan Hansen):  I asked Drew to come over last winter to teach my Activity Day boys how to make origami stars. He was very patient in working with them even though they were pretty clueless. Eventually they all went home happily with their stars. Paula: This last winter we invited Bruce and Michelle over for dinner and we didn't have anyone his age for him to hang out with. I remember that Drew found the Duplo blocks on his own and played with them all by himself, quite cheerfully entertaining himself. I asked him if he wanted to play with a different toy--maybe something more sophistica

Drew's Funeral

Yesterday was the viewing for Drew and then today was the funeral. There were a LOT of people at the viewing. Bruce and Michelle greeted people for almost four hours yesterday and then again this morning before the funeral. Bruce said that if weren't for Drew's death, it would be the best week of his life with so much love being shown to them. Friday actually began with a family run in Drew's honor. We started at a church by the new Lindon temple and ran to Bruce and Michelle's house with breakfast following. Friday night was the viewing. There was a very nice display of all things Drew. This was one of the pictures displayed and I recognized someone I know: We stood in line and the paramedics who worked on Drew stood in line behind us so we got to talk to them. Here's a fun fact:  They cover both Orem and Vineyard but Vineyard gets a lot more 911 calls than Orem per capita. It's a younger population and they are quicker to call. They said it's hard when the