Skip to main content

Book Review of "No Regrets Parenting" by Harley A. Rotbart

In the 23 years since I've become a parent, I can't tell you how many times people have told me, "Kids grow up so fast."  My standard response is to smile and agree, but inwardly think, "Not really!"  With a large family and an age range of  17 years, I had babies and toddlers for what felt like a really long time.  When my older children left home, I didn't miss them quite as much because I still had a lot at home to keep me busy.  Lately, though, I'm reaching the point where it feels like maybe my children really are growing up fast.  My youngest just started kindergarten, my oldest just became a father, and my third child is about to leave on a mission for our church next week.  In ten years almost everyone will be out of the house!




So you might think I'm too late to read this book, No Regrets Parenting, which actually got published just last year, and you might be right--ten years ago would have been better.  But it's still a good reminder to me about how I need to cherish the moments I have with my children, be present with them as much as possible, and create friendships and relationships with them that will last a lifetime.

Here are a few of my thoughts about this book:

1.  I have to quibble with the title.  There is no such thing as "No Regrets Parenting".  If you don't have regrets as a parent, just wait a while.  Nobody's perfect.  Maybe the key here is to think "No Major Regrets".  Also, this is less a book about parenting and more a book about finding ways to spend more time with your children and to value that time.

2.  I like his idea that you should be your children's parent AND their friend.  As they grow up, you become less a parent and more a friend.  I do think the author has a tendency to view his child-rearing years (which are apparently over) with rose-colored glasses.

3.  At the beginning of the book, he says you won't be able to do everything he suggests.  That reminder needs to be sprinkled liberally throughout the book.  No one should come away from this book feeling guilty about what they're not doing.  We don't need more guilt in our lives.  There have been plenty of times in my parenting life when covering the very basics and maintaining my sanity is all I'm doing.  Even at this stage in our lives when we no longer have a baby or preschoolers, it sometimes feels like we're just barely keeping up with everything.  There's definitely a balance to spending enough time with your children and having a little personal time to maintain your sanity.

4.  With the above caveat, he does have plenty of good ideas about ways to spend time with your children, while still getting things done that you want to do.  After reading this book, I want to create a more regular Sunday night tradition of popcorn and games.  Also, I want us to spend more time working on home improvement with the older kids.  And when I'm with the children, I want to be really there and not on the computer or on my phone. Same goes for the kids.

5.  This might be a given, but I wish he would have talked about not waiting for everyone to be home to do things with your children.  That's one of the challenges of a larger family.  We need to keep doing things even if our older children or even my husband can't be there.

6.  This book helps me appreciate my church's counsel to hold Family Home Evening on Monday night every week.  We have been pretty good at doing this and it's been a really good way to make sure that we do something fun together as a family at least once a week.

This is well-written and a quick read.  I'm glad I had the chance to think about making the most of and enjoying the few years I have left with my children at home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Cousin Drew

 This last week, my brother and his wife lost a very precious son, just 13 years old. He collapsed while running with a cross-country team and passed away before he could be revived. Everyone that knew Drew is broken-hearted at this loss. He was the happiest, most agreeable kid we knew. I remember him being at my house without anyone close to his age to hang out with, so he found our Duplo blocks and started building even though it is a toy that boys his age don't usually enjoy. He was so content. He didn't complain that I ever remember. His mother always called him the perfect child. He will leave a big hole in not only his immediate family but our extended family as well.  Here is a poem my aunt shared that seems fitting: Leave Taking How I would have liked to wave goodbye  and watch until you turned and smiled and disappeared on the horizon. You who taught me to dance  and let me teach you,  who laughed at my stories  and winked at me when I was sad. I can  just see you trav

Remembering Drew

 This weekend we celebrated Drew's life. On Thursday night, we gathered as an extended family and had a dinner then sat in a big circle and talked about our memories of him. I took some notes and here is what people said. Grandpa (Gary Hansen):  The last time we saw Drew was last week on the 4th. I remember all the cousins on the trampoline, bouncing up and down and playing basketball. Grandma (Susan Hansen):  I asked Drew to come over last winter to teach my Activity Day boys how to make origami stars. He was very patient in working with them even though they were pretty clueless. Eventually they all went home happily with their stars. Paula: This last winter we invited Bruce and Michelle over for dinner and we didn't have anyone his age for him to hang out with. I remember that Drew found the Duplo blocks on his own and played with them all by himself, quite cheerfully entertaining himself. I asked him if he wanted to play with a different toy--maybe something more sophistica

Drew's Funeral

Yesterday was the viewing for Drew and then today was the funeral. There were a LOT of people at the viewing. Bruce and Michelle greeted people for almost four hours yesterday and then again this morning before the funeral. Bruce said that if weren't for Drew's death, it would be the best week of his life with so much love being shown to them. Friday actually began with a family run in Drew's honor. We started at a church by the new Lindon temple and ran to Bruce and Michelle's house with breakfast following. Friday night was the viewing. There was a very nice display of all things Drew. This was one of the pictures displayed and I recognized someone I know: We stood in line and the paramedics who worked on Drew stood in line behind us so we got to talk to them. Here's a fun fact:  They cover both Orem and Vineyard but Vineyard gets a lot more 911 calls than Orem per capita. It's a younger population and they are quicker to call. They said it's hard when the