Skip to main content

Teaching Children About Money

Something weird about me is that I really enjoy keeping track of our money.  It is actually my favorite household task (except when I have to call people about questions with bills--not fun.)  Every Tuesday, I do the finances.  That means collecting all the receipts from the depths of my purse and writing them down in my little financial notebook where we keep track of our budget, figuring out our checkbook balance, paying the bills, etc.  I won't say I love all the numbers that show up when I do the finances but it gives me some kind of feeling of control over our money.  Don't we all want to feel in control of our money instead of the other way around?


So it's probably not too surprising that one of my goals in life is to teach my children how to be responsible with their money.  I'm not sure how successful I've been but one of the things I've done is to have a lesson on our family finances.  I've done this maybe two times over the last 15 years and should really do it more regularly.

Last night we did this again with our children during our family night.  Beforehand, I typed up a paper detailing how much income we get each month and then all the ways we spend it.  We swore them to secrecy on the details since I really don't think it's appropriate for children to be talking about how much money their parents make.  One of my children wasn't sure she could keep it a secret but I wasn't too worried since numbers aren't her strong point.  Hopefully they took it seriously.

Then I gave everyone a copy of the budget I had prepared.  I had previously counted out our gross monthly income (so we could subtract taxes) in play money and then passed out part of the money to every child.  My goal was to make the numbers a little more real by going through the budget line by line and watching the play money disappear as we paid each bill.


Here are some things I wanted them to learn as we went through the budget:

a.  Saving money is part of our budget.  I should have stressed that automatic withdrawals help with this so I'll have to bring that up sometime.  We talked about how we need to save for retirement so they don't have to support us in our old age!  Plus, we also save additionally for unexpected expenses including a large amount if something happened to our monthly paycheck.


b.  Paying charitable donations and tithing is part of our budget.  This is simply just the right thing to do.  However, I've heard this idea that when we are generous with our money, God can be more generous with us.  He can trust us to help others.  Here's a really good article on this topic that talks about how generous people become richer and not just in money:  http://magazine.byu.edu/?act=view&a=2441.  I highly recommend it.

c.  Debt payments limit our options.  We have tried really hard in our marriage not to have debt.  I feel very grateful to be united with my husband on this topic.  So we talked about how our budget would have to change if we had certain debt payments to make every month.

d.  God has blessed us to have enough.  Our medical bills are higher than average because of our youngest daughter and her medical issues.  This year, we had a ton of other medical bills for our other children because of a shoulder surgery, orthodontics for two children, acne medication, wisdom teeth removal for two children, plus the usual stuff for my youngest.  Ever since those medical bills have started coming in, we have been blessed with more income to cover all those bills.  We have truly been blessed.

e. The money disappears quickly!  Hopefully most adults have figured this out by now but I'm pretty sure most kids don't know this.  I know I used to lie awake at night at the age of 10 or so, trying to figure out how my parents spent their money and why they never seemed to have quite enough!  I was completely clueless.  When I asked my oldest son what he remembered from a similar lesson I gave some years ago, that is what he remembered--the money all disappears.

f.  Education is really important.  An education gives you so many more options in the world and makes it so much easier to support a family.

I don't know how much my children absorbed.  I'll ask them in a few days what they remember.  And I'll do another post sometime on other things we do to help them manage money.  But, I'm hopeful that this gives them a better grip on the ways we can spend our money.  Maybe they'll even start turning off the lights when they leave the room!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Cousin Drew

 This last week, my brother and his wife lost a very precious son, just 13 years old. He collapsed while running with a cross-country team and passed away before he could be revived. Everyone that knew Drew is broken-hearted at this loss. He was the happiest, most agreeable kid we knew. I remember him being at my house without anyone close to his age to hang out with, so he found our Duplo blocks and started building even though it is a toy that boys his age don't usually enjoy. He was so content. He didn't complain that I ever remember. His mother always called him the perfect child. He will leave a big hole in not only his immediate family but our extended family as well.  Here is a poem my aunt shared that seems fitting: Leave Taking How I would have liked to wave goodbye  and watch until you turned and smiled and disappeared on the horizon. You who taught me to dance  and let me teach you,  who laughed at my stories  and winked at me when I was sad. I can  just see you trav

Remembering Drew

 This weekend we celebrated Drew's life. On Thursday night, we gathered as an extended family and had a dinner then sat in a big circle and talked about our memories of him. I took some notes and here is what people said. Grandpa (Gary Hansen):  The last time we saw Drew was last week on the 4th. I remember all the cousins on the trampoline, bouncing up and down and playing basketball. Grandma (Susan Hansen):  I asked Drew to come over last winter to teach my Activity Day boys how to make origami stars. He was very patient in working with them even though they were pretty clueless. Eventually they all went home happily with their stars. Paula: This last winter we invited Bruce and Michelle over for dinner and we didn't have anyone his age for him to hang out with. I remember that Drew found the Duplo blocks on his own and played with them all by himself, quite cheerfully entertaining himself. I asked him if he wanted to play with a different toy--maybe something more sophistica

Drew's Funeral

Yesterday was the viewing for Drew and then today was the funeral. There were a LOT of people at the viewing. Bruce and Michelle greeted people for almost four hours yesterday and then again this morning before the funeral. Bruce said that if weren't for Drew's death, it would be the best week of his life with so much love being shown to them. Friday actually began with a family run in Drew's honor. We started at a church by the new Lindon temple and ran to Bruce and Michelle's house with breakfast following. Friday night was the viewing. There was a very nice display of all things Drew. This was one of the pictures displayed and I recognized someone I know: We stood in line and the paramedics who worked on Drew stood in line behind us so we got to talk to them. Here's a fun fact:  They cover both Orem and Vineyard but Vineyard gets a lot more 911 calls than Orem per capita. It's a younger population and they are quicker to call. They said it's hard when the