Skip to main content

A Ruptured Appendix Story

My brother recently had to have an emergency appendectomy with his appendix close to rupturing.  That reminded me of our experience more than 20 years ago when my husband's appendix really did rupture.  So for the sake of family history and not one-upmanship, here it is.

Family picture taken right before the appendix difficulties

One Monday night in the fall of 1993, I came home from an orchestra rehearsal and my husband told me he felt some pressure in his abdomen and he might be getting sick.  Sure enough, the next day he started vomiting.  He decided he needed to go to the doctor and made an appointment for himself.  I happened to be gone with our only car when he did that, so he actually got on his bicycle and rode the two miles or so to the appointment!  Incredible, but that's how he is.

The doctor told him he had a stomach virus and that's what we thought for the next 6 days.  On Wednesday, he spiked a fever and had chills and threw up rather violently.  His pain moved to his lower right abdomen and we thought that must have been due to his violent vomiting perhaps straining a muscle. Yes, we were completely clueless.

He continued to feel terrible and was unable to eat for the next five days.  It did seem like he was starting to feel a little better, which is apparently common with a ruptured appendix.  In retrospect, I realize he must have gotten horribly dehydrated and I should have taken him in.  But when we called our doctor's office (an HMO), the nurse assured us that he just needed to eat the right foods to get better.

Finally, on Sunday night, very late, he told me that it felt like a knife was stabbing him in the stomach.  So we called the doctor who said he should go to the ER.  When we went to the ER, they could not figure out what was wrong.  His white blood cell count had actually normalized, high normal because his body had probably walled off the infection.  Additionally, his pain had become generalized and moved more to his stomach area.  The surgeons could tell something was wrong but didn't know what.  However, in classic surgeon style, they knew a surgery could fix it.  Nowadays, they would probably take a CT scan but I don't think they had those then.

He went into surgery and I went home because we had two little boys I needed to take care of.   When I came back some hours later, they told me that he had a ruptured appendix and he would be in the hospital for a while.  I really had no idea how very sick he had been and still was.  He had an Anderson tube draining his stomach of all fluids including his stomach acid to allow his intestines to heal.  He wasn't allowed to eat anything for more than a week.  He had a lot of pain meds thanks to his huge incision and barely remembers anything about the hospital.

Meanwhile, I was trying to figure out how I could take care of our two little boys (ages 3 and 9 months) and still get to the hospital pretty frequently to make sure my husband was doing okay.  He wasn't very coherent in the hospital.  He doesn't even remember me visiting him although I went every day.  I asked our neighbors to babysit sometimes and sometimes I brought the boys with me.  It was a challenging time.  Fortunately we lived just 5 minutes from the hospital and he had excellent care.

After 9 days, Scott was allowed to go home.  He had lost 20 pounds and he frankly looked terrible although he was feeling much better than he had.  His very large incision (6 inches or so) was still open.  Because his abdomen had been full of infection from the ruptured appendix, they couldn't sew it up so he had to clean it out every day as it slowly healed on its own.  It was a sight to see and sadly, I don't think I have any pictures of it.

Fortunately he healed well and people were very kind to us.  He was in graduate school and his research adviser told him to take as much time as he needed to heal.  After three weeks he had some intense pain and we ended up going to the ER two different times to see what was going on.  But they could never find anything, so the conclusion was that scar tissue was floating around and causing some pain.

After six weeks he was fully recovered and life got back to normal.  I had been feeling a little sorry for myself because our 9-month-old was at least 25 pounds and not walking yet, and he hadn't been able to help me at all.  Looking back, I should have been tougher.

I am incredibly grateful for antibiotics that helped his body overcome this massive infection and competent surgeons that could fix the problem.

P.S. I was looking around on the internet and found this interesting article here that talks about how appendicitis treatment is changing, even with a ruptured appendix.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Cousin Drew

 This last week, my brother and his wife lost a very precious son, just 13 years old. He collapsed while running with a cross-country team and passed away before he could be revived. Everyone that knew Drew is broken-hearted at this loss. He was the happiest, most agreeable kid we knew. I remember him being at my house without anyone close to his age to hang out with, so he found our Duplo blocks and started building even though it is a toy that boys his age don't usually enjoy. He was so content. He didn't complain that I ever remember. His mother always called him the perfect child. He will leave a big hole in not only his immediate family but our extended family as well.  Here is a poem my aunt shared that seems fitting: Leave Taking How I would have liked to wave goodbye  and watch until you turned and smiled and disappeared on the horizon. You who taught me to dance  and let me teach you,  who laughed at my stories  and winked at me when I was sad. I can  just see you trav

Remembering Drew

 This weekend we celebrated Drew's life. On Thursday night, we gathered as an extended family and had a dinner then sat in a big circle and talked about our memories of him. I took some notes and here is what people said. Grandpa (Gary Hansen):  The last time we saw Drew was last week on the 4th. I remember all the cousins on the trampoline, bouncing up and down and playing basketball. Grandma (Susan Hansen):  I asked Drew to come over last winter to teach my Activity Day boys how to make origami stars. He was very patient in working with them even though they were pretty clueless. Eventually they all went home happily with their stars. Paula: This last winter we invited Bruce and Michelle over for dinner and we didn't have anyone his age for him to hang out with. I remember that Drew found the Duplo blocks on his own and played with them all by himself, quite cheerfully entertaining himself. I asked him if he wanted to play with a different toy--maybe something more sophistica

Drew's Funeral

Yesterday was the viewing for Drew and then today was the funeral. There were a LOT of people at the viewing. Bruce and Michelle greeted people for almost four hours yesterday and then again this morning before the funeral. Bruce said that if weren't for Drew's death, it would be the best week of his life with so much love being shown to them. Friday actually began with a family run in Drew's honor. We started at a church by the new Lindon temple and ran to Bruce and Michelle's house with breakfast following. Friday night was the viewing. There was a very nice display of all things Drew. This was one of the pictures displayed and I recognized someone I know: We stood in line and the paramedics who worked on Drew stood in line behind us so we got to talk to them. Here's a fun fact:  They cover both Orem and Vineyard but Vineyard gets a lot more 911 calls than Orem per capita. It's a younger population and they are quicker to call. They said it's hard when the