Skip to main content

Grandpa

From August 2006
 On Monday, September 29, 2014, my grandpa, Francis Everett Broadbent, died.  It was the same day my little granddaughter (his great-great granddaughter) turned 1.  He was 92 years old and never expected to live that long.  He suffered from severe, life-threatening asthma for most of his life and had to move from New York to California because of it.

He was also diagnosed with leukemia about 17 years ago and given one week to live without chemo.  The doctors didn't expect him to survive.  But obviously he did--he had more work to do.  He also had other health problems that made life challenging including almost complete deafness which made it very difficult to talk to people and go to church.  But he kept trying anyway.  He lost his wife in March of 2012 after caring for her for many years and because of those things, I think he was really happy to finally be released from this life.
2006:  It doesn't seem that long ago except my children were 8 years younger!

On that visit, we went to the open house for the Sacramento Temple and took my grandparents with us.

My second son received his patriarchal blessing from Grandpa



The funeral was a week later in Davis, California, where he and his wife settled in about 1955 and lived most of their lives.  It's a real tribute to him that all of his children and their spouses came, including his son and wife who are currently serving a mission in Russia.  Also, my parents came from their mission in Boston.  Even more impressive is the fact that 43 of his 45 grandchildren came.

I'm glad I was able to go.  My husband happened to be on a business trip to Brazil during that time so it was a little complicated for me to figure out who was going to take care of the children, and especially Camille, while I was gone.  Fortunately our college-aged son was not too busy with school (and I was only gone about 36 hours) so I hired him to fill in for me.
One year ago, we visited my Grandpa in Modesto where he had moved so his daughter could take care of him.  Susanna got her patriarchal blessing at that time.

The night before the funeral, my family got together and had a meeting where we talked about our memories of Grandpa and sang an obscure hymn that he had loved.

At the funeral, I realized that your ancestors influence your life in ways that you aren't even totally aware of.  Here are some ways my grandpa has influenced me:

1.  Education:  Grandpa got a Ph.d. in agronomy in a time when advanced degrees were relatively uncommon.  He taught at Cornell and then University of California at Davis.  All of his children and a large percentage of his grandchildren graduated from college and many have gone on to advanced degrees.

2.  Music:  Grandpa loved classical music although he could not play an instrument.  My grandparents had all of their children take piano lessons and two of them became quite accomplished, including my mother.  Grandpa loved to hear me play the violin even when I really wasn't very good and I appreciated that encouragement.

3.  Family:  Grandpa was really devoted to his family.  My grandparents had reunions every two years for as long as I could remember until about 2005 when it became too difficult.  These reunions were not easy to put together but I'm grateful for their effort.  They were very proud of the missions that their grandchildren went on.  They put together pictures and flags for all the missionaries, including my children who went. 

He wrote volumes of family history records.  I know a lot about the Broadbents because of those histories.  He always took care of his wife and family when it needed to be done.  He was an extremely conscientious and responsible man.

4.  Gospel of Jesus Christ:  Grandpa was devoted to the gospel.  He served as a patriarch for 37 years giving over 1000 blessings.  He served as a bishop for the local congregation in Davis, giving long hours without any pay.  This was especially challenging because they had no building at the time he was called and they had to construct much of the building themselves in addition to raising funds.  He also served in the stake presidency and the high council.  In later years, when he was not able to do as much, he spent a lot of time extracting names for family history records.

I'm sure there are other ways he has influenced my life that I am not even aware of.  I am not sad at his passing though.  He was ready.  I am confident that the Lord greeted him at the end of his life with, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant."

He was a veteran of World War II so he had a flag draped over the casket and they had a flag-folding ceremony.  They presented the flag to my mother.

Grandpa's six children in front of the casket

The members of my family who were able to come.  Most of us didn't have our spouses or children with us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Cousin Drew

 This last week, my brother and his wife lost a very precious son, just 13 years old. He collapsed while running with a cross-country team and passed away before he could be revived. Everyone that knew Drew is broken-hearted at this loss. He was the happiest, most agreeable kid we knew. I remember him being at my house without anyone close to his age to hang out with, so he found our Duplo blocks and started building even though it is a toy that boys his age don't usually enjoy. He was so content. He didn't complain that I ever remember. His mother always called him the perfect child. He will leave a big hole in not only his immediate family but our extended family as well.  Here is a poem my aunt shared that seems fitting: Leave Taking How I would have liked to wave goodbye  and watch until you turned and smiled and disappeared on the horizon. You who taught me to dance  and let me teach you,  who laughed at my stories  and winked at me when I was sad. I can  just see you trav

Remembering Drew

 This weekend we celebrated Drew's life. On Thursday night, we gathered as an extended family and had a dinner then sat in a big circle and talked about our memories of him. I took some notes and here is what people said. Grandpa (Gary Hansen):  The last time we saw Drew was last week on the 4th. I remember all the cousins on the trampoline, bouncing up and down and playing basketball. Grandma (Susan Hansen):  I asked Drew to come over last winter to teach my Activity Day boys how to make origami stars. He was very patient in working with them even though they were pretty clueless. Eventually they all went home happily with their stars. Paula: This last winter we invited Bruce and Michelle over for dinner and we didn't have anyone his age for him to hang out with. I remember that Drew found the Duplo blocks on his own and played with them all by himself, quite cheerfully entertaining himself. I asked him if he wanted to play with a different toy--maybe something more sophistica

Drew's Funeral

Yesterday was the viewing for Drew and then today was the funeral. There were a LOT of people at the viewing. Bruce and Michelle greeted people for almost four hours yesterday and then again this morning before the funeral. Bruce said that if weren't for Drew's death, it would be the best week of his life with so much love being shown to them. Friday actually began with a family run in Drew's honor. We started at a church by the new Lindon temple and ran to Bruce and Michelle's house with breakfast following. Friday night was the viewing. There was a very nice display of all things Drew. This was one of the pictures displayed and I recognized someone I know: We stood in line and the paramedics who worked on Drew stood in line behind us so we got to talk to them. Here's a fun fact:  They cover both Orem and Vineyard but Vineyard gets a lot more 911 calls than Orem per capita. It's a younger population and they are quicker to call. They said it's hard when the