Skip to main content

Why January is a Good Month

January has not always been my favorite month.  When we lived in Wisconsin and I had one, two, and then three little boys, it was a long, cold month.  We did enjoy skating on the frozen lakes that we lived by, but only if it wasn't so cold that your toes froze.

The other problem with January is illness.  With Camille in our family, January is notorious for illness.  The worst one was a few years ago when she got her tonsils out followed by RSV which turned into pneumonia.  She was EXTREMELY miserable for weeks.  She watched movies basically non-stop and missed a lot of preschool.

I can't complain much about the weather this year because it's been mild.  However, it has had some illness.  Currently Camille is suffering with a cold and constant cough.  But here are some reasons why I'm learning to enjoy January:

1.  No more Christmas shopping!  Maybe some people enjoy this.  I'm not one of them.  Actually I did have to return a few gifts near the beginning of the month but there was no pressure and no deadlines.

2.  Time for cleaning out!  Just ask my children.  They think I would throw everything out if they weren't there to stop me.  This isn't completely true but I do love to get rid of stuff.  I have this idea that if we had to move on a moment's notice in a small truck, I should be ready!  This week I've been focusing on the master bedroom that has a tendency to collect a lot of random stuff.  Because our family has been heavily involved in music for a long time, we have collected a lot of music.  I finally went through the whole collection and got rid of a lot of music we will never play again.

Good-bye to Scott's trombone music since he hasn't played the trombone in a really long time.

To help us remember it, this is what we do right before we throw out a school project.  I was particularly proud of this one.  So was Mindy.

3.  Projects!  I always have a list of projects that I need to work on, sometimes just in my mind but preferably written down.  It feels really good when I'm making progress on at least one of them.  It's when my life is too busy to get anything done on any of them.  That's December and actually most of the summer and fall.  Possibly the spring.  But January!  There's time in that month.  This month I've started working on a family picture book for 2013.  Which is not to say that all the years before that are done.  But 2013 and 2014 seem doable and fresh in my mind so that's what I'm going to finish first.  Maybe this will be the year I catch up on all those scrapbooks!  I can still dream in January because the year is still full of possibilities.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Cousin Drew

 This last week, my brother and his wife lost a very precious son, just 13 years old. He collapsed while running with a cross-country team and passed away before he could be revived. Everyone that knew Drew is broken-hearted at this loss. He was the happiest, most agreeable kid we knew. I remember him being at my house without anyone close to his age to hang out with, so he found our Duplo blocks and started building even though it is a toy that boys his age don't usually enjoy. He was so content. He didn't complain that I ever remember. His mother always called him the perfect child. He will leave a big hole in not only his immediate family but our extended family as well.  Here is a poem my aunt shared that seems fitting: Leave Taking How I would have liked to wave goodbye  and watch until you turned and smiled and disappeared on the horizon. You who taught me to dance  and let me teach you,  who laughed at my stories  and winked at me when I was sad. I can  just see you trav

Remembering Drew

 This weekend we celebrated Drew's life. On Thursday night, we gathered as an extended family and had a dinner then sat in a big circle and talked about our memories of him. I took some notes and here is what people said. Grandpa (Gary Hansen):  The last time we saw Drew was last week on the 4th. I remember all the cousins on the trampoline, bouncing up and down and playing basketball. Grandma (Susan Hansen):  I asked Drew to come over last winter to teach my Activity Day boys how to make origami stars. He was very patient in working with them even though they were pretty clueless. Eventually they all went home happily with their stars. Paula: This last winter we invited Bruce and Michelle over for dinner and we didn't have anyone his age for him to hang out with. I remember that Drew found the Duplo blocks on his own and played with them all by himself, quite cheerfully entertaining himself. I asked him if he wanted to play with a different toy--maybe something more sophistica

Drew's Funeral

Yesterday was the viewing for Drew and then today was the funeral. There were a LOT of people at the viewing. Bruce and Michelle greeted people for almost four hours yesterday and then again this morning before the funeral. Bruce said that if weren't for Drew's death, it would be the best week of his life with so much love being shown to them. Friday actually began with a family run in Drew's honor. We started at a church by the new Lindon temple and ran to Bruce and Michelle's house with breakfast following. Friday night was the viewing. There was a very nice display of all things Drew. This was one of the pictures displayed and I recognized someone I know: We stood in line and the paramedics who worked on Drew stood in line behind us so we got to talk to them. Here's a fun fact:  They cover both Orem and Vineyard but Vineyard gets a lot more 911 calls than Orem per capita. It's a younger population and they are quicker to call. They said it's hard when the