Skip to main content

Why Make a Family History?

Today I watched a couple of parenting videos.  Ideally they should be inspiring.  Today I just felt depressed.  I put so much effort into being a good parent but the video reminded me of all my shortcomings.  Then I started working on this blog post and as I looked at my recent photo book, I felt better. 

Making a family history through scrapbooking has been something I have always worked on, mostly as a record for my children.  I can't say I love doing it.  But last night I realized that having family scrapbooks also helps me because it helps me to feel like a better mom.  When I look at them, I realize that we really have done a lot of fun things and worthwhile activities. It's easy to forget about all those things you've done unless you document them.  When I look at my photo book, I think maybe I'm a better mom than I sometimes give myself credit for being.


I stayed mostly current with our scrapbooks until I had my youngest 7 years ago.  Now that my life isn't quite as crazy, I'm trying to catch up.  It feels a little overwhelming!  Since photo books seem to be easier than scrapbooking, I'm now doing those which also take up a lot less space on my shelf.  So far I've done 2:  2012 and 2013.

I picked up the photo book for 2013 recently from Costco.  Here is my review of their photo book software and finished product.

Negatives:

1.  It's a little confusing when they tell you to upload your pictures and then select them for the photo book.  They made it sound like all my pictures needed to be selected at once.  When I did that, all 200+ pictures got put into my book and they told me the photo book was going to cost me $90!  (It didn't.)  That was ridiculous.  Of course the way the computer put them in the book was not the way I wanted either.  That also meant I had to go through and delete a bunch of pages at the end after I had created the pages I wanted.  That's a feature that definitely needs to go.

2.  I didn't like how I had to change my font and borders for every page.  Who is going to change their font size for every page?  Plus, I wanted borderless pictures.  Once I established my style, I wanted to do that for the whole book.  But the software didn't figure that out so I had to fix it on every page.

3.  I wish it was easier to see the whole page bigger.  A few typos got through to the finished product because I didn't go through the process of magnifying each part of each page to make sure I had it the way I wanted.  Also, I had a hard time telling if a picture was going to be blurry or not in the finished product.  I wish the software had warned me that a few of my pictures were going to be more blurry than I wanted them to be.

Positives:

1.  The price.  My book ended up costing about $40 before tax for a 12x12 hardcover book that was 36 pages long (one side=one page).  I counted about 187 pictures in the book not counting the big family picture I put on the front.  That's about 5 pictures a page.  It's a very competitive price from the shopping around I did on the internet.  I got a great price on my 2012 photo book thanks to my daughter-in-law working at BYU print and getting 50% off.  But she's not there any more, so that option is out.

2.  The ability to edit each picture a lot.  This is the big advantage that photo books have over scrapbooks.  In the old days of regular film, you developed the pictures and you had no idea what it looked like until it got developed.  Editing was impossible.  With a digital camera I could select which pictures I wanted to print out but I didn't have the software to edit each picture before I printed them.  With photo books, I can do exactly what I want to each picture, zoom, crop, rotate, shift, etc. to my heart's content.  You almost have too many options.  At a certain point you get sick of the whole project and decide just to be done!

3.  I like putting the text box wherever I want and whatever size I want.

4.  High-quality product.  I can't tell for sure but this book looks like it's going to last a long time.

Would I do it again through Costco?  Yes.  Having done it once helps a lot with the learning curve and I hope to be faster next time.  Hopefully I will be able to get a few more done before summer starts and the kids are home!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Cousin Drew

 This last week, my brother and his wife lost a very precious son, just 13 years old. He collapsed while running with a cross-country team and passed away before he could be revived. Everyone that knew Drew is broken-hearted at this loss. He was the happiest, most agreeable kid we knew. I remember him being at my house without anyone close to his age to hang out with, so he found our Duplo blocks and started building even though it is a toy that boys his age don't usually enjoy. He was so content. He didn't complain that I ever remember. His mother always called him the perfect child. He will leave a big hole in not only his immediate family but our extended family as well.  Here is a poem my aunt shared that seems fitting: Leave Taking How I would have liked to wave goodbye  and watch until you turned and smiled and disappeared on the horizon. You who taught me to dance  and let me teach you,  who laughed at my stories  and winked at me when I was sad. I can  just see you trav

Remembering Drew

 This weekend we celebrated Drew's life. On Thursday night, we gathered as an extended family and had a dinner then sat in a big circle and talked about our memories of him. I took some notes and here is what people said. Grandpa (Gary Hansen):  The last time we saw Drew was last week on the 4th. I remember all the cousins on the trampoline, bouncing up and down and playing basketball. Grandma (Susan Hansen):  I asked Drew to come over last winter to teach my Activity Day boys how to make origami stars. He was very patient in working with them even though they were pretty clueless. Eventually they all went home happily with their stars. Paula: This last winter we invited Bruce and Michelle over for dinner and we didn't have anyone his age for him to hang out with. I remember that Drew found the Duplo blocks on his own and played with them all by himself, quite cheerfully entertaining himself. I asked him if he wanted to play with a different toy--maybe something more sophistica

Drew's Funeral

Yesterday was the viewing for Drew and then today was the funeral. There were a LOT of people at the viewing. Bruce and Michelle greeted people for almost four hours yesterday and then again this morning before the funeral. Bruce said that if weren't for Drew's death, it would be the best week of his life with so much love being shown to them. Friday actually began with a family run in Drew's honor. We started at a church by the new Lindon temple and ran to Bruce and Michelle's house with breakfast following. Friday night was the viewing. There was a very nice display of all things Drew. This was one of the pictures displayed and I recognized someone I know: We stood in line and the paramedics who worked on Drew stood in line behind us so we got to talk to them. Here's a fun fact:  They cover both Orem and Vineyard but Vineyard gets a lot more 911 calls than Orem per capita. It's a younger population and they are quicker to call. They said it's hard when the