Skip to main content

FamilySearch Discovery Center

Our spring break was more of a staycation this year because my husband had to work.  We didn't do a lot, but one thing we did was to visit the FamilySearch Discovery Center up in Salt Lake City in the Joseph Smith Memorial Building where the famous Family History Library is located.  It's a new attraction designed to get youth and adults too excited about family history.  You definitely want to make an appointment which can be done up to two months ahead of time.

Our appointment was for Thursday about noon.  We parked in the City Center parking garage.  There is an area in the garage specifically for the Joseph Smith building but I caused a small traffic jam trying to go in there not realizing my van was too tall for that area.  So I had to back up with the help of the attendant and go into a different area!  The parking was cheap and the visit was free.



Once we got to the Discovery Center, we were all given Ipads or Ipad minis to use during our visit.  It's very important to have a FamilySearch account already with some connections to ancestors in that account so you can get more out of the visit.  My youngest doesn't have an account so she had an account as a guest.  She was still able to go to some stations but not the ones that tap into your ancestor information.

There are quite a few different stations, some easier to access than others.  For children younger than 12, it can still be fun.  My little girls had fun dressing up in the explorer accessories that they provided:


They also had a little block building station that they enjoyed as well as the regular stations.  But I probably wouldn't take anyone younger than 6 or so.

One of the stations showed a world map with the places my ancestors came from:



You can see that my ancestry is very much northern Europe and Scandinavia.  They did make one mistake though.  One of my more recent ancestors was born in Indiana but they misread that as India.

Another station took a picture of your face and put it into a native costume of whatever country you picked.  My kids really enjoyed that.

Here is Everett trying to get a good picture of himself in a native costume.  It was challenging to get your face framed just right.

The first station I went to told the meaning of my names and how common both my first and last names (using my maiden name) are--pretty common.  My son Talmage has a much less common first and last name.  His name combination might be unique in the United States.

Another feature of that station was what happened the year you were born:



I was surprised that both the world and national populations have changed so much just in my lifetime.  Both of them have almost doubled.

In a sound and video booth, we recorded a group discussion of family sayings and family vacations.  We brought a jump drive to save that.  I also wanted to go in a different booth which recorded a personal history-type interview but the wait was too long.  There was also another booth I could have gone in that looked interesting but that one was also busy.  If I had been willing to wait, I'm sure I could have gotten in.  There weren't that many people there and they weren't trying to kick us out after an hour of being there, which was the length of our appointment.

All in all, it was a great visit and I would be happy to go again.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Cousin Drew

 This last week, my brother and his wife lost a very precious son, just 13 years old. He collapsed while running with a cross-country team and passed away before he could be revived. Everyone that knew Drew is broken-hearted at this loss. He was the happiest, most agreeable kid we knew. I remember him being at my house without anyone close to his age to hang out with, so he found our Duplo blocks and started building even though it is a toy that boys his age don't usually enjoy. He was so content. He didn't complain that I ever remember. His mother always called him the perfect child. He will leave a big hole in not only his immediate family but our extended family as well.  Here is a poem my aunt shared that seems fitting: Leave Taking How I would have liked to wave goodbye  and watch until you turned and smiled and disappeared on the horizon. You who taught me to dance  and let me teach you,  who laughed at my stories  and winked at me when I was sad. I can  just see you trav

Remembering Drew

 This weekend we celebrated Drew's life. On Thursday night, we gathered as an extended family and had a dinner then sat in a big circle and talked about our memories of him. I took some notes and here is what people said. Grandpa (Gary Hansen):  The last time we saw Drew was last week on the 4th. I remember all the cousins on the trampoline, bouncing up and down and playing basketball. Grandma (Susan Hansen):  I asked Drew to come over last winter to teach my Activity Day boys how to make origami stars. He was very patient in working with them even though they were pretty clueless. Eventually they all went home happily with their stars. Paula: This last winter we invited Bruce and Michelle over for dinner and we didn't have anyone his age for him to hang out with. I remember that Drew found the Duplo blocks on his own and played with them all by himself, quite cheerfully entertaining himself. I asked him if he wanted to play with a different toy--maybe something more sophistica

Drew's Funeral

Yesterday was the viewing for Drew and then today was the funeral. There were a LOT of people at the viewing. Bruce and Michelle greeted people for almost four hours yesterday and then again this morning before the funeral. Bruce said that if weren't for Drew's death, it would be the best week of his life with so much love being shown to them. Friday actually began with a family run in Drew's honor. We started at a church by the new Lindon temple and ran to Bruce and Michelle's house with breakfast following. Friday night was the viewing. There was a very nice display of all things Drew. This was one of the pictures displayed and I recognized someone I know: We stood in line and the paramedics who worked on Drew stood in line behind us so we got to talk to them. Here's a fun fact:  They cover both Orem and Vineyard but Vineyard gets a lot more 911 calls than Orem per capita. It's a younger population and they are quicker to call. They said it's hard when the