Skip to main content

A Few Good Books

Recently I read a few books that I enjoyed:

Book #1:  Cleaning House:  A Mom's 12-Month Experiment to Rid Her Home of Youth Entitlement by Kay Wills Wyma



This is a very Christian book written by a mom that decided to stop enabling her children (and yes, she was very much an enabler) and start expecting more from them.  I love the list she made of things she wants her children to know by the time they're adults:

1.  How to make a bed and maintain an orderly room.
2.  How to cook and clean a kitchen
3.  How to do yard work
4.  How to clean a bathroom
5.  How to get a job...outside our home
6.  How to do laundry
7.  How to do handyman jobs
8.  How to host a party
9.  How to work together
10.  How to run errands.
11.  How to put others first through service.
12.  How to act mannerly

She spent a year working on this list. I especially liked the idea of putting a jar with $30 in it at the beginning of each month in each child's bedroom and then taking away a dollar each time they don't make their bed or clean up their clothes.  I decided to do that this month in place of allowance and it seems to be working fairly well.

The best part of the book are all the reasons why you need to teach your children these important life skills, one of them being to teach them that they're capable.  She's also very honest about how things went with her experiment and not everything went well, especially the handyman jobs, which was refreshing.

Book #2:  The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up:  The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondo

 

This book is very big right now.  In the last few weeks I've run into so many references to it--you probably have too.  It is very Japanese and that's good to keep in mind as you read it because some of the ideas will seem odd to Americans.  But the basic idea is good and that is that you only keep those things in your house that make you happy.  For example, you get out all your clothes and lay them on the floor.  Then you pick up each piece individually and ask yourself if it "sparks joy".  If it does, you keep it.  If it doesn't, throw it out.  For more details, see this review.

The main effect it had on me was to open my eyes to all the clutter in my house.  I try to stay organized but we have a lot of storage places (too much, really) and we had a lot of stuff that we never used.  So for the last few weeks I have been going through our closets and getting rid of stuff, consolidating, etc.  I didn't follow her method exactly but I have to say that I feel really good about all the junk I have off-loaded.  I could have been more ruthless, but maybe in a year, I'll do it again and see what I can get rid of.

My personal clothes closet looks pretty Spartan but I only kept the clothes I wear and it turns out to be a small number.  I have ten pairs of shoes for all seasons and occasions.  That's it.  But that's all I need.  I think I could really get used to this minimalist movement.

I also have a dresser with some clothes in it but you can see there's not much here!

I'm not done yet--all summer long I'm going to be working on the kitchen and the kids' bedrooms with my children, and today I want to declutter my pantry and get rid of food that we're never going to eat.

It will be challenging to convince my children to get rid of their extra stuff.  Who needs 30 stuffed animals or 30 t-shirts?  It's a mindset that's hard to change and this book doesn't deal with that since the author has no children.  But I'm going to try.  We should own our stuff and not the other way around.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Cousin Drew

 This last week, my brother and his wife lost a very precious son, just 13 years old. He collapsed while running with a cross-country team and passed away before he could be revived. Everyone that knew Drew is broken-hearted at this loss. He was the happiest, most agreeable kid we knew. I remember him being at my house without anyone close to his age to hang out with, so he found our Duplo blocks and started building even though it is a toy that boys his age don't usually enjoy. He was so content. He didn't complain that I ever remember. His mother always called him the perfect child. He will leave a big hole in not only his immediate family but our extended family as well.  Here is a poem my aunt shared that seems fitting: Leave Taking How I would have liked to wave goodbye  and watch until you turned and smiled and disappeared on the horizon. You who taught me to dance  and let me teach you,  who laughed at my stories  and winked at me when I was sad. I can  just see you trav

Remembering Drew

 This weekend we celebrated Drew's life. On Thursday night, we gathered as an extended family and had a dinner then sat in a big circle and talked about our memories of him. I took some notes and here is what people said. Grandpa (Gary Hansen):  The last time we saw Drew was last week on the 4th. I remember all the cousins on the trampoline, bouncing up and down and playing basketball. Grandma (Susan Hansen):  I asked Drew to come over last winter to teach my Activity Day boys how to make origami stars. He was very patient in working with them even though they were pretty clueless. Eventually they all went home happily with their stars. Paula: This last winter we invited Bruce and Michelle over for dinner and we didn't have anyone his age for him to hang out with. I remember that Drew found the Duplo blocks on his own and played with them all by himself, quite cheerfully entertaining himself. I asked him if he wanted to play with a different toy--maybe something more sophistica

Drew's Funeral

Yesterday was the viewing for Drew and then today was the funeral. There were a LOT of people at the viewing. Bruce and Michelle greeted people for almost four hours yesterday and then again this morning before the funeral. Bruce said that if weren't for Drew's death, it would be the best week of his life with so much love being shown to them. Friday actually began with a family run in Drew's honor. We started at a church by the new Lindon temple and ran to Bruce and Michelle's house with breakfast following. Friday night was the viewing. There was a very nice display of all things Drew. This was one of the pictures displayed and I recognized someone I know: We stood in line and the paramedics who worked on Drew stood in line behind us so we got to talk to them. Here's a fun fact:  They cover both Orem and Vineyard but Vineyard gets a lot more 911 calls than Orem per capita. It's a younger population and they are quicker to call. They said it's hard when the