Skip to main content

Climbing Mt. Timpanogos

At the top of my blog is a picture of a mountain covered with snow.  It's called Mt. Timpanogos and it is very much a part of our everyday landscape.  I look out my windows and there it is in all it's glory.  It's a beautiful mountain.

I've had a goal to climb this mountain for a long time but this summer it finally became more concrete.  I'm not getting any younger so this was the year!  My husband and I did a lot of practice climbs--not for him because he's already in great shape--but for me.

For Mother's Day, I got a pair of good hiking boots and socks.  Then a week later Scott and I hiked Squaw Peak.  It was quite muddy and my hiking boots had great traction.  Over the summer I frequently hiked the Y on Saturday mornings and kept up my running.  We did several family hikes. The second Saturday in September we hiked almost to Emerald Lake, about a nine-mile hike.  It was all good practice for me.

Finally we decided to do it on the last Saturday in September.  It was just Scott and I.  We got up at 5am and left our house shortly after 5:30.  We arrived at the Timpooneke Trailhead a little after 6am and the parking lot was already full, so Scott dropped me off and drove down the road to park.  A few people parked illegally and we noticed they got parking tickets.  They really should expand the parking for that trailhead.


We started hiking at 6:30am.  It was dark but soon got light.  The first part of the hike was beautiful as the sun slowly came up and we could see the fall colors.  We made good time and were covering about 2 miles an hour.  The weather was great, not too hot or cold.

About halfway up, the mountain got a lot more barren and wasn't quite as beautiful.  We reached the saddle at about 10:30am, about a mile from the summit, and suddenly the wind came up.  We dropped off most of our stuff at the saddle and took off right away for the summit.  The last mile to the summit was the very hardest for me.  It was cold and windy and the elevation gain combined with the elevation of 11,000 feet was challenging.  It felt like my heart rate was at its max.



You can see it's windy from the way my hair is flying.

Finally we made it!  It was a relief.  We took a few pictures but didn't stay long (because the weather was so cold and windy) and headed back down.  We rested at the saddle for a little bit and then took off.

The last part of the hike was also quite challenging for me.  The bottoms of my feet were so sore.  At one point, we stopped, I took off my shoes and socks and Scott massaged my feet--that helped for a little while.  The hike is about 14.8 miles roundtrip and it occurred to me that I have never walked that far in one day in my life.  Maybe if I walked that much regularly my feet would toughen up.

The hero of the hike was Scott.  I so appreciate him supporting my goal.  He carried most of our water and our food and was unfailingly positive.  When we got home, I laid on the couch and he fixed me some lemonade and made dinner for us.  Our older children babysat the younger ones and everyone was fine while we were gone.

So I'm done!  I'm not sure if I'm ever going to do the whole hike again--the shorter hikes are easier and more enjoyable and don't require so much time away from my family.  But maybe someday...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Cousin Drew

 This last week, my brother and his wife lost a very precious son, just 13 years old. He collapsed while running with a cross-country team and passed away before he could be revived. Everyone that knew Drew is broken-hearted at this loss. He was the happiest, most agreeable kid we knew. I remember him being at my house without anyone close to his age to hang out with, so he found our Duplo blocks and started building even though it is a toy that boys his age don't usually enjoy. He was so content. He didn't complain that I ever remember. His mother always called him the perfect child. He will leave a big hole in not only his immediate family but our extended family as well.  Here is a poem my aunt shared that seems fitting: Leave Taking How I would have liked to wave goodbye  and watch until you turned and smiled and disappeared on the horizon. You who taught me to dance  and let me teach you,  who laughed at my stories  and winked at me when I was sad. I can  just see you trav

Remembering Drew

 This weekend we celebrated Drew's life. On Thursday night, we gathered as an extended family and had a dinner then sat in a big circle and talked about our memories of him. I took some notes and here is what people said. Grandpa (Gary Hansen):  The last time we saw Drew was last week on the 4th. I remember all the cousins on the trampoline, bouncing up and down and playing basketball. Grandma (Susan Hansen):  I asked Drew to come over last winter to teach my Activity Day boys how to make origami stars. He was very patient in working with them even though they were pretty clueless. Eventually they all went home happily with their stars. Paula: This last winter we invited Bruce and Michelle over for dinner and we didn't have anyone his age for him to hang out with. I remember that Drew found the Duplo blocks on his own and played with them all by himself, quite cheerfully entertaining himself. I asked him if he wanted to play with a different toy--maybe something more sophistica

Drew's Funeral

Yesterday was the viewing for Drew and then today was the funeral. There were a LOT of people at the viewing. Bruce and Michelle greeted people for almost four hours yesterday and then again this morning before the funeral. Bruce said that if weren't for Drew's death, it would be the best week of his life with so much love being shown to them. Friday actually began with a family run in Drew's honor. We started at a church by the new Lindon temple and ran to Bruce and Michelle's house with breakfast following. Friday night was the viewing. There was a very nice display of all things Drew. This was one of the pictures displayed and I recognized someone I know: We stood in line and the paramedics who worked on Drew stood in line behind us so we got to talk to them. Here's a fun fact:  They cover both Orem and Vineyard but Vineyard gets a lot more 911 calls than Orem per capita. It's a younger population and they are quicker to call. They said it's hard when the