Skip to main content

Some Advice for My Younger Self

Yesterday was my birthday!  It was a good day with my husband working hard to make it a nice day for me.  The weather was surprisingly cold and rainy but my house was warm.  I enjoy many, many blessings and I frequently wonder why I have been given so much.

Yesterday I thought about a past birthday from 22 years ago which happens to be an historically significant day.  That day--September 23, 1995--was the day that the president of our church read the brand-new "The Family: A Proclamation to the World" at a conference for the women of our church.  It is a much-needed document on what we believe about families and how important they are.  At the time it didn't seem that significant but as families become less and less meaningful to the world and society continues to deteriorate, it seems prescient.

This is a picture we took right around my birthday in 1993 right before Scott had a ruptured appendix--another very stressful time in my life.

But I wasn't really thinking about the significance of this document at that time because I was too busy feeling overwhelmed about my own little family.  It was one of the most stressful times of my life.  My husband was trying to finish up his Ph.D. to the satisfaction of his graduate advisor in time for us to move to Maryland by the end of September and was working around the clock, literally, to finish.  I was trying to pack up our household, trying to move as cheaply as possible, and take care of our three little boys, ages 5, 2, and 9 months.  And then I found out that I was unexpectedly pregnant.  I should have been happier about this news than I was but mostly I felt completely overwhelmed.  This new baby would be born 17 months after his brother and I wasn't sure if I could handle it.  There were a lot of unknowns in my life at the time.  I look back at the pictures of this time and they don't reflect the stress I was feeling but it was definitely there.

Love my garage sale outfit.  It was extremely comfortable and I wore it a lot in the summer.
The happy ending of the story is that I had my baby the following May and we named him Lincoln.  He was actually my happiest and most content baby and everything worked out just fine.  There were challenging moments but it was okay.  He is a wonderful addition to our family and has been good friends with his brother closest to him in age for his whole life.  If I could go back and change anything, I would only change my attitude.

My four very cute and sweet little boys.  This picture has unfortunately had some abuse.

This picture was taken in 1997 in front of the Washginton, DC LDS temple which is a beautiful structure and can't be seen very well in this picture. I made Lincoln's outfit and he wore it without too much complaining. 

If I could talk to that younger version of myself from 22 years ago, I would tell her to have greater faith.  I would give her some advice from the president of our church at that time, Gordon B. Hinckley:

A watercolor illustration of the sun over mountains with the quote, “It isn’t as bad as you sometimes think it is. It all works out. Don’t worry. If you do your best, it will all work out. Put your trust in God, and move forward with faith."

That's advice I could use now too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Cousin Drew

 This last week, my brother and his wife lost a very precious son, just 13 years old. He collapsed while running with a cross-country team and passed away before he could be revived. Everyone that knew Drew is broken-hearted at this loss. He was the happiest, most agreeable kid we knew. I remember him being at my house without anyone close to his age to hang out with, so he found our Duplo blocks and started building even though it is a toy that boys his age don't usually enjoy. He was so content. He didn't complain that I ever remember. His mother always called him the perfect child. He will leave a big hole in not only his immediate family but our extended family as well.  Here is a poem my aunt shared that seems fitting: Leave Taking How I would have liked to wave goodbye  and watch until you turned and smiled and disappeared on the horizon. You who taught me to dance  and let me teach you,  who laughed at my stories  and winked at me when I was sad. I can  just see you trav

Remembering Drew

 This weekend we celebrated Drew's life. On Thursday night, we gathered as an extended family and had a dinner then sat in a big circle and talked about our memories of him. I took some notes and here is what people said. Grandpa (Gary Hansen):  The last time we saw Drew was last week on the 4th. I remember all the cousins on the trampoline, bouncing up and down and playing basketball. Grandma (Susan Hansen):  I asked Drew to come over last winter to teach my Activity Day boys how to make origami stars. He was very patient in working with them even though they were pretty clueless. Eventually they all went home happily with their stars. Paula: This last winter we invited Bruce and Michelle over for dinner and we didn't have anyone his age for him to hang out with. I remember that Drew found the Duplo blocks on his own and played with them all by himself, quite cheerfully entertaining himself. I asked him if he wanted to play with a different toy--maybe something more sophistica

Drew's Funeral

Yesterday was the viewing for Drew and then today was the funeral. There were a LOT of people at the viewing. Bruce and Michelle greeted people for almost four hours yesterday and then again this morning before the funeral. Bruce said that if weren't for Drew's death, it would be the best week of his life with so much love being shown to them. Friday actually began with a family run in Drew's honor. We started at a church by the new Lindon temple and ran to Bruce and Michelle's house with breakfast following. Friday night was the viewing. There was a very nice display of all things Drew. This was one of the pictures displayed and I recognized someone I know: We stood in line and the paramedics who worked on Drew stood in line behind us so we got to talk to them. Here's a fun fact:  They cover both Orem and Vineyard but Vineyard gets a lot more 911 calls than Orem per capita. It's a younger population and they are quicker to call. They said it's hard when the