Skip to main content

Winter Fun

It's been a colder winter this year than last.  This time last year I was worried that the fruit trees would blossom too early because the temperature never went below freezing for a couple of weeks.  This year we're wondering if spring will ever come!

Talmage standing on a huge avalanche that happened up the canyon about a month ago.  It's a pretty massive amount of snow.

Fortunately we've been able to get outside and do some fun activities.  For Presidents' Day, we decided to go visit my sister's family in Idaho and rent some snowmobiles.  We had never done that before and Scott wanted to try it, so we did it.  It actually worked out well.

Right after church on Sunday, we drove up to Rexburg arriving in time for dinner and some visiting with my sister's family.  It was fun to see them and they were accommodating hosts. On Monday morning we dressed warmly and drove up to Island Park which is near Yellowstone.  There was a LOT of snow.  One guy told us they had about 3 feet of snow fall in the last week and a half.  The trees were covered and there were several feet of snow on the ground.


Right next to the snowmobile shop, there is an extensive trail system groomed for snowmobiles.  I was a little concerned about avalanche danger because every winter we read about snowmobilers getting caught and dying in avalanches but here there was no danger.  The trails are in a flat area and there no slopes that could slide.  We found a good spot for our base and did some cross-country skiing as well as snowmobiling.  Unfortunately I didn't get nearly as many pictures as I wanted to.


The weather also turned out to be perfect.  It was supposed to be quite cold with lows below zero and highs in the teens but there was no wind and the sun came out so it really wasn't very cold.  We had a great time going fast, everybody got turns on the snowmobile and it was a fun day.  We had to leave about 3pm so we could get home.

Snowmobiles are very loud, expensive to rent, and the exhaust is quite smelly so I don't know if we'll be renting again any time soon but it was a good experience.


Scott and I on the snowmobile


We were able to see some wildlife including swans on the open water.
 Last week I was able to go with Camille's school class on a cross-country skiing field trip.  They went up to Soldier Hollow and we all got skis.  It was hard for Camille so she didn't do a lot of skiing but the weather cooperated and it was nice to be out.  Once again, I didn't get as many pictures as I would have liked but we got this one at the end:


Yesterday Scott and I went out hiking in the foothills and saw this little woodpecker looking for his lunch.  The birds are starting to come out more so maybe spring really will come.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Cousin Drew

 This last week, my brother and his wife lost a very precious son, just 13 years old. He collapsed while running with a cross-country team and passed away before he could be revived. Everyone that knew Drew is broken-hearted at this loss. He was the happiest, most agreeable kid we knew. I remember him being at my house without anyone close to his age to hang out with, so he found our Duplo blocks and started building even though it is a toy that boys his age don't usually enjoy. He was so content. He didn't complain that I ever remember. His mother always called him the perfect child. He will leave a big hole in not only his immediate family but our extended family as well.  Here is a poem my aunt shared that seems fitting: Leave Taking How I would have liked to wave goodbye  and watch until you turned and smiled and disappeared on the horizon. You who taught me to dance  and let me teach you,  who laughed at my stories  and winked at me when I was sad. I can  just see you trav

Remembering Drew

 This weekend we celebrated Drew's life. On Thursday night, we gathered as an extended family and had a dinner then sat in a big circle and talked about our memories of him. I took some notes and here is what people said. Grandpa (Gary Hansen):  The last time we saw Drew was last week on the 4th. I remember all the cousins on the trampoline, bouncing up and down and playing basketball. Grandma (Susan Hansen):  I asked Drew to come over last winter to teach my Activity Day boys how to make origami stars. He was very patient in working with them even though they were pretty clueless. Eventually they all went home happily with their stars. Paula: This last winter we invited Bruce and Michelle over for dinner and we didn't have anyone his age for him to hang out with. I remember that Drew found the Duplo blocks on his own and played with them all by himself, quite cheerfully entertaining himself. I asked him if he wanted to play with a different toy--maybe something more sophistica

Drew's Funeral

Yesterday was the viewing for Drew and then today was the funeral. There were a LOT of people at the viewing. Bruce and Michelle greeted people for almost four hours yesterday and then again this morning before the funeral. Bruce said that if weren't for Drew's death, it would be the best week of his life with so much love being shown to them. Friday actually began with a family run in Drew's honor. We started at a church by the new Lindon temple and ran to Bruce and Michelle's house with breakfast following. Friday night was the viewing. There was a very nice display of all things Drew. This was one of the pictures displayed and I recognized someone I know: We stood in line and the paramedics who worked on Drew stood in line behind us so we got to talk to them. Here's a fun fact:  They cover both Orem and Vineyard but Vineyard gets a lot more 911 calls than Orem per capita. It's a younger population and they are quicker to call. They said it's hard when the