Skip to main content

Hansen Family Reunion 2020: The Site

Last week my parents hosted a family reunion.  Following the example of my mother's parents, my parents have held reunions every other year for quite a while as the family continues to grow.  We are now up to 85 counting all the in-laws and the great-grandchildren:  2 parents, 11 children, 9 in-laws, 52 grandchildren, 5 grandchildren-in-law, and 6 great-grandchildren.  An impressive number!


Mom and Dad and 10 of the original 11

Those not attending the reunion were: my brother in St. George with his wife and 8 of his children and three of my sons with their spouses and babies. My sister's husband came for just one evening with their two youngest and another sister's working daughter came up for the three evenings. It was a group of about 60 for the reunion.  Considering the challenges of COVID-19 this year, it was a good representation.




The biggest challenge for the reunion these days is finding a place that can accommodate us and that everyone likes, recognizing that there is no perfect venue.  This year we met up in an area near Coalville, in the mountains near Park City, Utah.  My parents rented two houses fairly close to each other:  Tandy Cabin and Silvercrest Lodge. Silvercrest Lodge also had a bunkhouse on the property.  Between the three buildings, there were beds for 65.  The main challenge was that when we showed up on Wednesday afternoon, only Tandy Cabin was available.  The other cabin with the bunkhouse had been double-booked and would not be available until the next day.  This meant there were only beds for about 24. So we improvised. Since the location was only about an hour away, quite a few of us went back to our homes to sleep for the night, including my husband and I.  It was a little frustrating but in the end it worked out.  It was fortunate we were close enough to go back home.






In conversation with other family members about the relative strengths of the place we stayed this year versus the place we stayed up at Bear Lake for several reunions, here is the not-comprehensive list:

Bear Lake                         vs.                        Coalsville

3 hours drive                                                 1 hour drive (or less)
everyone in one house                                   everyone separated into three buildings
good lawn area for games, gatherings           had to go the park in Park City for games
                                                                       crowded into main room for gatherings
fun little creek to play in                                2 hot tubs, playground equipment                       
campfires allowed                                          no campfires allowed
Bear Lake nearby                                           Jordanelle Reservoir was about 30 min. away and we                                                                             didn't use it
eating area crowded                                       eating areas dispersed in and out and not crowded
everyone walking through kitchen                 better house traffic flow
not hard to find people                                   difficult to find people with 3 buildings
a little warm during the day (6000 ft)            very cool at night and comfortable in the day (8000 feet                                                                          elevation)

In the end, there was no clear consensus.  My mom didn't like how far apart the lodges were--neither did I. It was also too bad that there was no good grassy area for our traditional Undokai.  Others really liked that Coalsville was only 1 hour from where we lived so that people could come up easily for the evening. This year's cabins were nicer than the house at Bear Lake.  They were also more expensive.  And had a gorgeous view.







We weren't supposed to wear shoes in the cabins.  I have to admit that by the end, I just left my shoes on since there was so much in and out and my shoes were not slip-ons.  But I wiped my shoes off REALLY well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Cousin Drew

 This last week, my brother and his wife lost a very precious son, just 13 years old. He collapsed while running with a cross-country team and passed away before he could be revived. Everyone that knew Drew is broken-hearted at this loss. He was the happiest, most agreeable kid we knew. I remember him being at my house without anyone close to his age to hang out with, so he found our Duplo blocks and started building even though it is a toy that boys his age don't usually enjoy. He was so content. He didn't complain that I ever remember. His mother always called him the perfect child. He will leave a big hole in not only his immediate family but our extended family as well.  Here is a poem my aunt shared that seems fitting: Leave Taking How I would have liked to wave goodbye  and watch until you turned and smiled and disappeared on the horizon. You who taught me to dance  and let me teach you,  who laughed at my stories  and winked at me when I was sad. I can  just see you trav

Remembering Drew

 This weekend we celebrated Drew's life. On Thursday night, we gathered as an extended family and had a dinner then sat in a big circle and talked about our memories of him. I took some notes and here is what people said. Grandpa (Gary Hansen):  The last time we saw Drew was last week on the 4th. I remember all the cousins on the trampoline, bouncing up and down and playing basketball. Grandma (Susan Hansen):  I asked Drew to come over last winter to teach my Activity Day boys how to make origami stars. He was very patient in working with them even though they were pretty clueless. Eventually they all went home happily with their stars. Paula: This last winter we invited Bruce and Michelle over for dinner and we didn't have anyone his age for him to hang out with. I remember that Drew found the Duplo blocks on his own and played with them all by himself, quite cheerfully entertaining himself. I asked him if he wanted to play with a different toy--maybe something more sophistica

Drew's Funeral

Yesterday was the viewing for Drew and then today was the funeral. There were a LOT of people at the viewing. Bruce and Michelle greeted people for almost four hours yesterday and then again this morning before the funeral. Bruce said that if weren't for Drew's death, it would be the best week of his life with so much love being shown to them. Friday actually began with a family run in Drew's honor. We started at a church by the new Lindon temple and ran to Bruce and Michelle's house with breakfast following. Friday night was the viewing. There was a very nice display of all things Drew. This was one of the pictures displayed and I recognized someone I know: We stood in line and the paramedics who worked on Drew stood in line behind us so we got to talk to them. Here's a fun fact:  They cover both Orem and Vineyard but Vineyard gets a lot more 911 calls than Orem per capita. It's a younger population and they are quicker to call. They said it's hard when the