Skip to main content

Talmage Turns 20!

Age 4

Age 6

Talmage turns 20 this week! Here is all about Talmage small:

Talmage's traumatic first haircut--no time for anything but a buzz

After being a little fussy as a baby, Talmage was pretty calm as a toddler. He always had his thumb to comfort him when he was feeling upset--my only child to suck his thumb. He was ambidextrous with his thumb-sucking--either thumb would work. He also loved his blanket; he was our Linus. The downside was sucking his thumb made him more prone to getting sick. Although I tried various methods of getting him to stop--prizes, painting his thumb with something nasty, a glove at night--nothing worked until he was about 8 and decided he was ready.




Saddest face ever, about 1 year old


When Talmage was 21 months, I wrote, "Talmage is starting to talk more. He says, "Zanna" and "Everett!" "Talmage loves to explore and get into things. Cooking can be very difficult when he is in the kitchen because he moves his chair all around and will get into anything left out like eggs, garbage, salt, etc. He is possibly our busiest child as far as getting into trouble. He excels at dumping. He loves to play at the sink and can make a big mess with the water while having a great time. He's also fairly coordinated so lids can be taken off without much trouble. He loves to squeeze ketchup, etc. and see it coming out. He has a major sweet tooth. He likes to forage for leftover candy in his brothers' rooms and has a talent for sniffing it out. His brothers have started closing their bedroom doors so he won't get into them when they're gone."

Talmage dumping books



In Germany with faces painted at kindergarten for Mardi Gras, age 3


One summer day Talmage disappeared. I couldn't find him anywhere. I got everyone to help me look and we looked for what seemed like an hour, maybe more. Finally we found him in the front closet where he had decided to take a nap.

Something Talmage absolutely hated was getting his hair cut which was a challenge since he had plenty of blonde hair. Scott would put him in a headlock while I shaved his head as quickly as I could and Talmage would scream the whole time.

Age 5 at Susanna's chef birthday party--making a mini-pizza

Right before he turned 2, I wrote, "Talmage loves to be outside and enjoys watering with the hose although he doesn't like being 'helped'. If Sister Louw (our neighbor) is outside, she will help Talmage find a worm and he will bring it to me saying, "Yook, Mom, nake (snake)!" Later that summer I wrote, "Talmage loves to go swimming in the pool and loves to play Ring around the Rosie and jump up and down. I have to watch him very carefully to keep him from drowning since he's prone to being a little too brave."

I love this picture taken when Talmage was 2. We went to Washington State and Puget Sound is in the background. Susanna and Talmage were good buddies, 20 months apart in age. One activity they enjoyed was playing library in Susanna's bedroom with the books in the house. They made signs inviting people to look at the books.

Age 22 months

When Talmage turned six, I wrote, "Talmage has figured out how to tell time from a non-digital clock all by himself which is better than some of his older brothers can do right now. Talmage is learning how to play the piano. I have been teaching him at home like I taught the other children and he is doing well."

Talmage wearing a Father's Day tie he made at Primary

A Mother's Day card from nursery--one of my favorites, almost 2 years old.

Talmage in Nauvoo, 2007, age 5

At age six:  "Talmage is a very loving child. He enjoys being held and would gladly be held more in church if I weren't busy with Mindy and Camille. He really likes me to pray with him at night instead of Scott and also makes sure to tell me, "I love you very very very very very much." He counts out the number of 'very's.'"

I am glad I wrote that down because I had forgotten all those things. We love you, Talmage!


2004, top of the Conference Center in SLC which we toured after Lincoln's baptism.

At Everett's baptism, age 4

Comments

  1. I remember how Talmage was taking a nap in Tyler's bedroom one afternoon. When he woke up he experimented with plugging an electric cord into a wall socket. Then he tried inserting Tyler's key into the socket. Big mistake! The sparks flew, Tyler's jacket got some burn holes in it, and Talmage got a burned hand.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Our Cousin Drew

 This last week, my brother and his wife lost a very precious son, just 13 years old. He collapsed while running with a cross-country team and passed away before he could be revived. Everyone that knew Drew is broken-hearted at this loss. He was the happiest, most agreeable kid we knew. I remember him being at my house without anyone close to his age to hang out with, so he found our Duplo blocks and started building even though it is a toy that boys his age don't usually enjoy. He was so content. He didn't complain that I ever remember. His mother always called him the perfect child. He will leave a big hole in not only his immediate family but our extended family as well.  Here is a poem my aunt shared that seems fitting: Leave Taking How I would have liked to wave goodbye  and watch until you turned and smiled and disappeared on the horizon. You who taught me to dance  and let me teach you,  who laughed at my stories  and winked at me when I was sad. I can  just see you trav

Remembering Drew

 This weekend we celebrated Drew's life. On Thursday night, we gathered as an extended family and had a dinner then sat in a big circle and talked about our memories of him. I took some notes and here is what people said. Grandpa (Gary Hansen):  The last time we saw Drew was last week on the 4th. I remember all the cousins on the trampoline, bouncing up and down and playing basketball. Grandma (Susan Hansen):  I asked Drew to come over last winter to teach my Activity Day boys how to make origami stars. He was very patient in working with them even though they were pretty clueless. Eventually they all went home happily with their stars. Paula: This last winter we invited Bruce and Michelle over for dinner and we didn't have anyone his age for him to hang out with. I remember that Drew found the Duplo blocks on his own and played with them all by himself, quite cheerfully entertaining himself. I asked him if he wanted to play with a different toy--maybe something more sophistica

Drew's Funeral

Yesterday was the viewing for Drew and then today was the funeral. There were a LOT of people at the viewing. Bruce and Michelle greeted people for almost four hours yesterday and then again this morning before the funeral. Bruce said that if weren't for Drew's death, it would be the best week of his life with so much love being shown to them. Friday actually began with a family run in Drew's honor. We started at a church by the new Lindon temple and ran to Bruce and Michelle's house with breakfast following. Friday night was the viewing. There was a very nice display of all things Drew. This was one of the pictures displayed and I recognized someone I know: We stood in line and the paramedics who worked on Drew stood in line behind us so we got to talk to them. Here's a fun fact:  They cover both Orem and Vineyard but Vineyard gets a lot more 911 calls than Orem per capita. It's a younger population and they are quicker to call. They said it's hard when the