Skip to main content

Happy Birthday, Lincoln!

 Another birthday for Lincoln! This year I'm going to do birthday posts on the elementary school years. Right before kindergarten Lincoln learned to ride a two-wheeler on the infamous purple bike which motivated Garrett to also learn at the same time.


 Lincoln started kindergarten at Cascade Elementary. Most days he rode his bike there--a little less than half a mile away. I think it was a little scary for him at first. He was a good kindergarten student and seemed to enjoy his class with Mrs. Sumsion.


On the first day of school, he was feeling very serious.



At the end of kindergarten, Lincoln turned 6 and not long after that, his little brother Talmage was born.




There is a famous story of Lincoln when he was about 6 or 7 at the cemetery on Memorial Day. He saw a stone marked "P.M." (probably for a water line), and asked me in all seriousness, "Is there a clock buried here?" It was a reasonable question!


In first grade Lincoln started playing soccer on the same team as Garrett. He also took swimming lessons and piano lessons. He really enjoyed soccer and would go out in the backyard to practice. He and Garrett were on the same competition soccer team 2004-5 but I couldn't handle the constant driving to practices and games so after we came home from Germany we dialed the soccer way back.


I think this picture was taken at Halloween, 2002. It was a really cold Halloween so Lincoln is wearing his winter coat underneath his costume that I don't recognize, but he's obviously feeling pleased with his haul.


At the end of Lincoln's first grade year and a few weeks after his 7th birthday, our family moved to a new house. Lincoln was a good student and school was easy for him.  In second grade, his teacher told me how the kids had to write equations for the number of the day--the number of days they had been in school. Lincoln's was: 100/20 +20 -15=10.  It was a little advanced for the beginning of 2nd grade but Lincoln had checked out all these math books from the library over the summer and taught himself division.

Something that wasn't easy for him was keeping track of his stuff. He lost a winter coat once and I was going to have him help pay for a new one but the old one finally showed up. Another time he accrued a big library fine for a book he lost. One day I wrote, "On Friday Lincoln was late getting to school because he told me he couldn't get his homework folder into his backpack. I was sure it would fit so I tried it myself. That's when I discovered there was an old yogurt container in there that had spilled. There was also a jacket, a bag full or markers and magnetic letters, and an old lunch bag or two. Lincoln is a major packrat and doesn't like to throw anything away. After we took out all those things and cleaned out his backpack, his homework folder fit quite nicely."


As a mom who loves to make lists, this makes me proud:


Lincoln got baptized on June 5, 2004.



Lincoln took violin lessons for a little while. I was his teacher and I tried to help him practice. He was doing fine but in the end, we decided it was a little too much with everything else we were trying to do. I started him on piano in kindergarten and then after a while, he took lessons from his uncle Kurt. Kurt loved to tell him crazy things that Lincoln would believe. Once Lincoln asked what time it was and Kurt told him the time (probably guessing). Lincoln asked how he knew and Kurt said, I looked at a clock once and I've been counting the seconds ever since. Another time, Kurt told him that the speed limit was really ten miles above what the sign said. I told him that he couldn't always believe everything Kurt told him. 




The day before Lincoln's 9th birthday, our family flew to Germany to live for one year, arriving on his birthday. It was an exhausting trip. I think we celebrated before we left. One week after we arrived, Lincoln started school and got lost on the way home. I was supposed to meet him where the crossing guard was but I was confused about what time to meet them (it seemed like they got out at a different time every day of the week). So Lincoln tried to figure out where to go and wandered around town for a couple of hours. I didn't have a car because Scott was off buying one for us so I borrowed the neighbor's bike and went to the police station to get their help. They tried to tell me they were short-handed because the Israeli prime minister was flying into town and they needed extra security at the nearby airport. But eventually they found Lincoln near the edge of town by the fire station. We were all very relieved and happy to find him.






Lincoln was in 5th grade with Mrs. Siebach when we got back, followed by 6th grade with Mr. Hall. He was in advanced classes and started making friends there whom he is still friends with.













Lincoln especially enjoyed playing games with his brothers and making crazy videos. They had a good time together. 

We are so glad you were born into our family, Lincoln! Have a great birthday!

Comments

  1. The picture of Lincoln and Garrett holding their duet music and certificate reminds me that their performance of the theme from Peter Gunn got them a standing ovation (of sorts) from the judges at Best in Music when they performed at the Duet Festival. Although both boys were my piano students at the time, Kurt helped coach them in their duet performance, and they really did an outstanding job.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Our Cousin Drew

 This last week, my brother and his wife lost a very precious son, just 13 years old. He collapsed while running with a cross-country team and passed away before he could be revived. Everyone that knew Drew is broken-hearted at this loss. He was the happiest, most agreeable kid we knew. I remember him being at my house without anyone close to his age to hang out with, so he found our Duplo blocks and started building even though it is a toy that boys his age don't usually enjoy. He was so content. He didn't complain that I ever remember. His mother always called him the perfect child. He will leave a big hole in not only his immediate family but our extended family as well.  Here is a poem my aunt shared that seems fitting: Leave Taking How I would have liked to wave goodbye  and watch until you turned and smiled and disappeared on the horizon. You who taught me to dance  and let me teach you,  who laughed at my stories  and winked at me when I was sad. I can  just see you trav

Remembering Drew

 This weekend we celebrated Drew's life. On Thursday night, we gathered as an extended family and had a dinner then sat in a big circle and talked about our memories of him. I took some notes and here is what people said. Grandpa (Gary Hansen):  The last time we saw Drew was last week on the 4th. I remember all the cousins on the trampoline, bouncing up and down and playing basketball. Grandma (Susan Hansen):  I asked Drew to come over last winter to teach my Activity Day boys how to make origami stars. He was very patient in working with them even though they were pretty clueless. Eventually they all went home happily with their stars. Paula: This last winter we invited Bruce and Michelle over for dinner and we didn't have anyone his age for him to hang out with. I remember that Drew found the Duplo blocks on his own and played with them all by himself, quite cheerfully entertaining himself. I asked him if he wanted to play with a different toy--maybe something more sophistica

Drew's Funeral

Yesterday was the viewing for Drew and then today was the funeral. There were a LOT of people at the viewing. Bruce and Michelle greeted people for almost four hours yesterday and then again this morning before the funeral. Bruce said that if weren't for Drew's death, it would be the best week of his life with so much love being shown to them. Friday actually began with a family run in Drew's honor. We started at a church by the new Lindon temple and ran to Bruce and Michelle's house with breakfast following. Friday night was the viewing. There was a very nice display of all things Drew. This was one of the pictures displayed and I recognized someone I know: We stood in line and the paramedics who worked on Drew stood in line behind us so we got to talk to them. Here's a fun fact:  They cover both Orem and Vineyard but Vineyard gets a lot more 911 calls than Orem per capita. It's a younger population and they are quicker to call. They said it's hard when the