Skip to main content

Book Review: Letters by Marjorie Pay Hinckley



Sorry for the lousy picture but this is the book I read last week.  A friend of mine picked it for our book group for March.  I really enjoyed it a lot and recommend it to anyone.  This book was put together after Marjorie Hinckley died, by her family.  The book is entirely composed of letters that she wrote to family members.  The first section was letters to her parents in 1945 when she lived in Denver while her husband worked for the railroad.  She lived in Utah for almost her entire life and I think this was the only time when she lived away.  I enjoyed this section the most.  It would have been great to read more about this time in her life when she had two small children and was pregnant with her third and how she coped with the challenges of war-time rationing, living away from home, etc. The other sections were letters from later in her life when her children moved away (particularly her oldest daughter) and she was writing to them.  Letters from her trips to Asia with her husband came later in the book along with letters to her grandchildren in faraway places.

Things I liked:
1.  Marjorie Hinckley comes across as a regular person.  She loved to shop, get her hair done, be with her family, etc.  She didn't really like to be called on to speak when she went to conferences with her husband.  She used some of the more popular language of the time which was entertaining, ie. "Think it is swell-er-ee that Dorene and Joanne stayed home."
2.  You get a glimpse of her sense of humor.  She wrote to her daughter, "If you think you are miscast in the Cub Scout program, try this on your violin--Dad has just been made adviser to the Tabernacle Choir."  That was my favorite line of the book.
3.  She had challenges and was realistic about them but didn't dwell on them.  Her year in Denver was hard with two (and then three) small children and no car to transport them places.  Her second child had rheumatic fever and she worried about him and wondered if the doctor knew what he was doing.  (I guess that child did fine because he is still alive at the age of 70.)  Traveling to Asia meant long plane trips and little sleep.  She confessed that it was hard to have her husband be gone every weekend as a general authority for the LDS church but didn't dwell on it.  She worried about her budget.  "The June wedding invitations are pouring in.  My budget is going to look sick."

My only complaint was that throughout the latter part of the book, most people besides relatives are referred to by their initials.  I found it somewhat distracting.  I suspect that this was done for reasons of privacy and/or permission.

I really liked getting to know this woman better who sacrificed so much to share her husband with the church.  At the end of the book, they included an essay written by President Hinckley as a tribute to his wife included in a book about her published in 1999.  I loved that essay; Pres. Hinckley has such a distinctive style.  They had a wonderful marriage and were an example for the whole world.  And I hope I can be as supportive of my husband in his church callings as she was of her husband.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Cousin Drew

 This last week, my brother and his wife lost a very precious son, just 13 years old. He collapsed while running with a cross-country team and passed away before he could be revived. Everyone that knew Drew is broken-hearted at this loss. He was the happiest, most agreeable kid we knew. I remember him being at my house without anyone close to his age to hang out with, so he found our Duplo blocks and started building even though it is a toy that boys his age don't usually enjoy. He was so content. He didn't complain that I ever remember. His mother always called him the perfect child. He will leave a big hole in not only his immediate family but our extended family as well.  Here is a poem my aunt shared that seems fitting: Leave Taking How I would have liked to wave goodbye  and watch until you turned and smiled and disappeared on the horizon. You who taught me to dance  and let me teach you,  who laughed at my stories  and winked at me when I was sad. I can  just see you trav

Remembering Drew

 This weekend we celebrated Drew's life. On Thursday night, we gathered as an extended family and had a dinner then sat in a big circle and talked about our memories of him. I took some notes and here is what people said. Grandpa (Gary Hansen):  The last time we saw Drew was last week on the 4th. I remember all the cousins on the trampoline, bouncing up and down and playing basketball. Grandma (Susan Hansen):  I asked Drew to come over last winter to teach my Activity Day boys how to make origami stars. He was very patient in working with them even though they were pretty clueless. Eventually they all went home happily with their stars. Paula: This last winter we invited Bruce and Michelle over for dinner and we didn't have anyone his age for him to hang out with. I remember that Drew found the Duplo blocks on his own and played with them all by himself, quite cheerfully entertaining himself. I asked him if he wanted to play with a different toy--maybe something more sophistica

Drew's Funeral

Yesterday was the viewing for Drew and then today was the funeral. There were a LOT of people at the viewing. Bruce and Michelle greeted people for almost four hours yesterday and then again this morning before the funeral. Bruce said that if weren't for Drew's death, it would be the best week of his life with so much love being shown to them. Friday actually began with a family run in Drew's honor. We started at a church by the new Lindon temple and ran to Bruce and Michelle's house with breakfast following. Friday night was the viewing. There was a very nice display of all things Drew. This was one of the pictures displayed and I recognized someone I know: We stood in line and the paramedics who worked on Drew stood in line behind us so we got to talk to them. Here's a fun fact:  They cover both Orem and Vineyard but Vineyard gets a lot more 911 calls than Orem per capita. It's a younger population and they are quicker to call. They said it's hard when the