Skip to main content

Book Review: "How Children Succeed"

As a mom, I'm always looking for ways to help my children be more successful in life.  I'm not looking to raise the next president of the United States or a millionaire or anything like that.  I just want my children to have the self-discipline and skills to someday successfully raise their own families, remain strong in our religion, contribute to society and just generally be good people.

So when I saw this title, How Children Succeed:  Grit, Curiousity, and the Hidden Power of Character by Paul Tough, I was really interested.  Talk about an ambitious title--this topic could fill volumes!  Now that I've read it, I found it to be a very interesting book that unfortunately doesn't give me many ideas about raising my own children to be successful.


This book doesn't focus on average children from middle-class families.  It mostly focuses on children growing up in very adverse circumstances, such as south Chicago in the projects where drugs, gangs, violence, and poverty are rampant.  These children really need a lot of help because they're not getting it from their families and their neighborhoods.  Educational reformers are trying different programs to reach out to those kids whom they think have the potential to be successful, but only if someone intervenes.  He highlights a few of these kids who look like they will be able to overcome their difficult beginnings.  For example, they have a class for kids in their junior year just to prep for the ACT and it has generally helped those kids to go from an average score of 15 to an average score of 18.  These are small interventions that seem like patching one hole on a tire full of leaks.  But maybe it will do enough good to help a few students overcome their background.

He also looks at children in lower-class neighborhoods in Brooklyn who get involved in a chess class at a certain Brooklyn middle school.  The chess class is highly successful at competitions where they are competing against private schools where the wealthy send their children.  The teacher has been very good at helping her students learn mental toughness and self-discipline.  However, the thinking that chess requires doesn't necessarily help them with academics.  This teacher decides to tutor one of her very best chess players, who is nationally ranked and once defeated a Ukrainian grandmaster, and tries to help him get up to speed so that he can get into one of the specialized high schools in the city.  She initially thinks it will be easy but soon realizes he is very behind.  At the age of 12, he can't locate Africa or Asia on a map, he can't name a single European country, and he can't recognize words like infant or beneficial. He's also behind in math.  She feels angry on his behalf that he hasn't been taught these things.  He doesn't end up getting into the specialized high school.  My question is, why don't his parents care about this?  Why are these schools getting away with giving these kids such a poor education?  The author doesn't ask those obvious questions.

The author largely focuses on character education in a few schools and how qualities like self-discipline and grit help children succeed.  I found those stories very interesting and I applaud any efforts to help children learn those character traits.  But to me, the best character education happens at home.  I would have been very interested in knowing how we can help ALL families more successfully teach those qualities.

My complaint is that the title of this book is way too ambitious and ultimately misleading.  A more accurate title might be, "How Some Children Find a Little Success Despite Extreme Challenges."  I'm guessing that wouldn't sell nearly as many books.  The real story of how children succeed is through strong families and strong communities that help their children learn how to do hard things and I wish the author had more explicitly acknowledged that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Cousin Drew

 This last week, my brother and his wife lost a very precious son, just 13 years old. He collapsed while running with a cross-country team and passed away before he could be revived. Everyone that knew Drew is broken-hearted at this loss. He was the happiest, most agreeable kid we knew. I remember him being at my house without anyone close to his age to hang out with, so he found our Duplo blocks and started building even though it is a toy that boys his age don't usually enjoy. He was so content. He didn't complain that I ever remember. His mother always called him the perfect child. He will leave a big hole in not only his immediate family but our extended family as well.  Here is a poem my aunt shared that seems fitting: Leave Taking How I would have liked to wave goodbye  and watch until you turned and smiled and disappeared on the horizon. You who taught me to dance  and let me teach you,  who laughed at my stories  and winked at me when I was sad. I can  just see you trav

Remembering Drew

 This weekend we celebrated Drew's life. On Thursday night, we gathered as an extended family and had a dinner then sat in a big circle and talked about our memories of him. I took some notes and here is what people said. Grandpa (Gary Hansen):  The last time we saw Drew was last week on the 4th. I remember all the cousins on the trampoline, bouncing up and down and playing basketball. Grandma (Susan Hansen):  I asked Drew to come over last winter to teach my Activity Day boys how to make origami stars. He was very patient in working with them even though they were pretty clueless. Eventually they all went home happily with their stars. Paula: This last winter we invited Bruce and Michelle over for dinner and we didn't have anyone his age for him to hang out with. I remember that Drew found the Duplo blocks on his own and played with them all by himself, quite cheerfully entertaining himself. I asked him if he wanted to play with a different toy--maybe something more sophistica

Drew's Funeral

Yesterday was the viewing for Drew and then today was the funeral. There were a LOT of people at the viewing. Bruce and Michelle greeted people for almost four hours yesterday and then again this morning before the funeral. Bruce said that if weren't for Drew's death, it would be the best week of his life with so much love being shown to them. Friday actually began with a family run in Drew's honor. We started at a church by the new Lindon temple and ran to Bruce and Michelle's house with breakfast following. Friday night was the viewing. There was a very nice display of all things Drew. This was one of the pictures displayed and I recognized someone I know: We stood in line and the paramedics who worked on Drew stood in line behind us so we got to talk to them. Here's a fun fact:  They cover both Orem and Vineyard but Vineyard gets a lot more 911 calls than Orem per capita. It's a younger population and they are quicker to call. They said it's hard when the