Skip to main content

A Challenging Camping Trip

A little ago, our college student son said he wanted to have a high-adventure type outing like a long bicycle ride or backpacking trip.  So as my husband and I talked about it, we decided to make it a family trip.  We decided to make the same trip my husband made with a bunch of Varsity Scouts about four years ago near Capitol Reef National Park.

So on a Thursday morning we left early and drove to Fish Lake with all our camping gear and a bunch of bikes.  We arrived shortly after noon.  We parked near some bathrooms (I love the security of being near a flush toilet) and Scott and my older children took off on their bikes.  The plan was for me to eventually drive down the road about 30 miles from the starting point, in my support vehicle role, to make sure everyone was doing okay.




Starting out on the big bike ride.


Shortly before the accident...

So my two youngest girls and I hung around the lake for a while and then I took a little nap in the car while they read.  About 2:00, I was awakened by a local sheriff asking me if I was with the bikers.  "Um, yes...".  He told me that one of the group had had an accident, fallen off his bike and needed some help.  It wasn't too serious, fortunately, but I would need to take him to the hospital in Richfield about 30 minutes away.  He didn't know who was hurt but I thought it was my youngest boy.  I quickly drove to join them about 8 miles away.

It turned out that it was my college student son who was hurt.  He had tried to do a trick on his bike while riding downhill at high speed and had fallen.  Fortunately he had no broken bones and his head wasn't injured at all.  It was just his hands and shin that were scraped and cut up.  I drove him to the emergency room in Richfield and he got stitches in his hand.



The rest of the bikers kept going and we caught up with them in Torrey, Utah.  We headed to our campground at Singletree Campground and set up camp and had dinner and a campfire.  It was a nice evening after a challenging afternoon.

The next morning was also nice.  We enjoyed a big breakfast and then got ready to do some more biking farther up the road.  Unfortunately some clouds started moving in.  We got in our car and drove to Boulder, Utah.  When we got there it started pouring and hailing.  It was quite an incredible storm that we don't get very often.  We hoped maybe that was the end of it...


Heading back from the hike at Lower Calf Creek Falls.  You can see the clouds are looking threatening.


We headed out on a hike to Little Calf Creek Falls but soon it started thundering and lightning off in the distance and we decided to head back to the car.  We met some other hikers at the trailhead as we headed for our car.  The other hikers were just starting out and kept going despite the weather but soon it started pouring again.  We had wanted to do another bike ride but this was impossible in the weather so we headed back for the campground to see how our tents held up.  On the way I dropped off a few bikers to bike back to the campground, about 11 miles.  Our little tent was leaking a little because the rain fly was missing a pole.

We had a nice dinner but once again the clouds started looking threatening.  When it started raining, we got in our car and headed to Torrey to check out the weather forecast.  When we got back, the clouds and rain looked like they were there to stay.  So when the rain eased up a little we quickly packed up everything and headed home, arriving a little after midnight.

It was a disappointing end to our trip but most of the time our camping trips are not rained out so I guess you win some and you lost some.  And frankly, Utah needs all the rain it can get!






The camp host had a little dog that Camille loved:  Odie (because her fur looks like oats).  Camille still says she is the cutest thing on earth. 
 After sleeping in on Saturday and having a big breakfast, we decided to go on a local short hike:  Buffalo Peak.  It's a nice little hike and very accessible for small children, with some great views at the top.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Cousin Drew

 This last week, my brother and his wife lost a very precious son, just 13 years old. He collapsed while running with a cross-country team and passed away before he could be revived. Everyone that knew Drew is broken-hearted at this loss. He was the happiest, most agreeable kid we knew. I remember him being at my house without anyone close to his age to hang out with, so he found our Duplo blocks and started building even though it is a toy that boys his age don't usually enjoy. He was so content. He didn't complain that I ever remember. His mother always called him the perfect child. He will leave a big hole in not only his immediate family but our extended family as well.  Here is a poem my aunt shared that seems fitting: Leave Taking How I would have liked to wave goodbye  and watch until you turned and smiled and disappeared on the horizon. You who taught me to dance  and let me teach you,  who laughed at my stories  and winked at me when I was sad. I can  just see you trav

Remembering Drew

 This weekend we celebrated Drew's life. On Thursday night, we gathered as an extended family and had a dinner then sat in a big circle and talked about our memories of him. I took some notes and here is what people said. Grandpa (Gary Hansen):  The last time we saw Drew was last week on the 4th. I remember all the cousins on the trampoline, bouncing up and down and playing basketball. Grandma (Susan Hansen):  I asked Drew to come over last winter to teach my Activity Day boys how to make origami stars. He was very patient in working with them even though they were pretty clueless. Eventually they all went home happily with their stars. Paula: This last winter we invited Bruce and Michelle over for dinner and we didn't have anyone his age for him to hang out with. I remember that Drew found the Duplo blocks on his own and played with them all by himself, quite cheerfully entertaining himself. I asked him if he wanted to play with a different toy--maybe something more sophistica

Drew's Funeral

Yesterday was the viewing for Drew and then today was the funeral. There were a LOT of people at the viewing. Bruce and Michelle greeted people for almost four hours yesterday and then again this morning before the funeral. Bruce said that if weren't for Drew's death, it would be the best week of his life with so much love being shown to them. Friday actually began with a family run in Drew's honor. We started at a church by the new Lindon temple and ran to Bruce and Michelle's house with breakfast following. Friday night was the viewing. There was a very nice display of all things Drew. This was one of the pictures displayed and I recognized someone I know: We stood in line and the paramedics who worked on Drew stood in line behind us so we got to talk to them. Here's a fun fact:  They cover both Orem and Vineyard but Vineyard gets a lot more 911 calls than Orem per capita. It's a younger population and they are quicker to call. They said it's hard when the