Skip to main content

Happy Birthday to Lincoln!



Lincoln is turning 25! We're so glad to have him in our family. Here is his birth story:

Lincoln was my only child born significantly after his due date at 10 days late. Everyone else was early or just one day late.  He was also my largest baby at 9 lbs. 2 oz. With Lincoln being my 4th child, I think all my abdominal muscles had given out so I carried him very low and everyone was convinced he was a boy. I saw a repairman the day before Lincoln was born and he said, "So are you about 2 months overdue or what?"


Age 3 weeks

Age 3 months

Finally I went into labor in the middle of the night (like always) at 2:30am and I knew it wasn't going to take long. We called a friend to come be with the other kids and then we headed down to Holy Cross Hospital in Silver Springs, Maryland about 3am. It was 30 minutes away and on the way, the tire on our Toyota van was falling apart--delaminating. It was making some pretty loud thumps. Scott wondered if he should change the tire but I said, "Just drive!"

We got to the hospital at 4:15am. When I finally got checked, I was dilated 9cm. I was in very active transition labor and really felt like I should start pushing. Unfortunately the practice I went to had about 30 doctors and too many patients. The doctor on call (whom I had never met) was at the hospital but he was busy delivering another baby. So we waited for a miserable hour for him to come while the nurse kept apologizing to me. Finally he walked in and asked me how long my deliveries were while he started washing his hands. They tried to keep me from pushing while the doctor put on his gloves, but I started pushing anyway and the baby came right out at 5:53am.  We're not sure the doctor had his gloves on or not. The experience was so unpleasant, for my next child, I decided I was going to a much smaller practice at a closer hospital--and I did.

We named him Lincoln because we liked that name and Abraham Lincoln was a pretty great president. His middle name William was for both my grandfather and Scott's grandfather.


Lincoln was probably my happiest baby. He sucked his middle two fingers until they got too long and was content to watch his active older brothers. Garrett was just 17 months older and was a little challenging to take care of when I was busy with Lincoln.  Once, we made the mistake of leaving Lincoln lying on the couch in a different room while we were busy in the kitchen. Jan, age 3 1/2, came to us and said, Garrett put something in Lincoln's mouth! We quickly rushed out and fished some staples from Lincoln's mouth. After that, we didn't leave Lincoln and Garrett alone unsupervised together. Garrett would go out to the sandbox while I was feeding Lincoln. He would come in, covered with sand, and want to touch the baby but I managed to keep him away. Initially it was a little difficult to have two children so close together but Garrett and Lincoln eventually became really good friends.






Recovering from flu, Dec 1, 1996

Scott stayed home from work for the first week of Lincoln's life and was very helpful. Lincoln has learned from his father and is also a really helpful husband and father.

We love you, Lincoln! Happy Birthday!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Cousin Drew

 This last week, my brother and his wife lost a very precious son, just 13 years old. He collapsed while running with a cross-country team and passed away before he could be revived. Everyone that knew Drew is broken-hearted at this loss. He was the happiest, most agreeable kid we knew. I remember him being at my house without anyone close to his age to hang out with, so he found our Duplo blocks and started building even though it is a toy that boys his age don't usually enjoy. He was so content. He didn't complain that I ever remember. His mother always called him the perfect child. He will leave a big hole in not only his immediate family but our extended family as well.  Here is a poem my aunt shared that seems fitting: Leave Taking How I would have liked to wave goodbye  and watch until you turned and smiled and disappeared on the horizon. You who taught me to dance  and let me teach you,  who laughed at my stories  and winked at me when I was sad. I can  just see you trav

Remembering Drew

 This weekend we celebrated Drew's life. On Thursday night, we gathered as an extended family and had a dinner then sat in a big circle and talked about our memories of him. I took some notes and here is what people said. Grandpa (Gary Hansen):  The last time we saw Drew was last week on the 4th. I remember all the cousins on the trampoline, bouncing up and down and playing basketball. Grandma (Susan Hansen):  I asked Drew to come over last winter to teach my Activity Day boys how to make origami stars. He was very patient in working with them even though they were pretty clueless. Eventually they all went home happily with their stars. Paula: This last winter we invited Bruce and Michelle over for dinner and we didn't have anyone his age for him to hang out with. I remember that Drew found the Duplo blocks on his own and played with them all by himself, quite cheerfully entertaining himself. I asked him if he wanted to play with a different toy--maybe something more sophistica

Drew's Funeral

Yesterday was the viewing for Drew and then today was the funeral. There were a LOT of people at the viewing. Bruce and Michelle greeted people for almost four hours yesterday and then again this morning before the funeral. Bruce said that if weren't for Drew's death, it would be the best week of his life with so much love being shown to them. Friday actually began with a family run in Drew's honor. We started at a church by the new Lindon temple and ran to Bruce and Michelle's house with breakfast following. Friday night was the viewing. There was a very nice display of all things Drew. This was one of the pictures displayed and I recognized someone I know: We stood in line and the paramedics who worked on Drew stood in line behind us so we got to talk to them. Here's a fun fact:  They cover both Orem and Vineyard but Vineyard gets a lot more 911 calls than Orem per capita. It's a younger population and they are quicker to call. They said it's hard when the