Skip to main content

Happy Birthday, Jan!

 While these birthday posts take a fair amount of time thanks to all the scanning that needs to be done, I really enjoy seeing the pictures and thinking about the "olden" days when I had lots of cute little boys running around my house. Jan's birthday post is no exception!

Jan started kindergarten in Maryland when he was just 4. The school deadline was the end of December so I decided to go ahead and start him even though he was the youngest in his class. Here he is lined up at the bus stop with his good friend, our neighbor Chris, and brother, David:

Turning 5:
Being a dinosaur:
At the FDR memorial on the Mall:


After kindergarten, we moved to Utah. Scott took Jan and Garrett in the moving van across the country and they loved it, 1998:
With his three younger brothers, 1999:
On a camping trip in California, 1999:

Turning 7. Jan was a little reserved around other people but not at home. People would tell us how quiet he was and we would say, Hmmm. We haven't seen that so much.

This is one of my favorite pictures, Jan, age 7:
Holding his new baby sister:
David and Jan loved to build together. Bionicles were very popular at our house:
A horseshoe crab:
Starting school in Utah:
Visiting the hospital where Jan and Garrett were born in Wisconsin, summer 2000:



David and Jan loved to make frozen concoctions:
Visiting the Grand Canyon, 2000:
Glen Canyon Dam, Colorado River, April, 2000:
Here's the scrapbook page I made for his baptism:
J
Here is the story of what happened when Jan got glasses as he wrote it: "In August (2000) I got glasses and I forgot to pick them up (after jumping on the trampoline) and David ran over them with the lawn mower. So I got them repaired and then I lost them in September. Now I need to pay $25 for them and then I'll get new glasses. So I'm going to do extra jobs for them." I think he kept better track of them after that.

At Four Corners (Liesl is in background), 2001:
Jan's phases of the moon project, 2001:
Summer, 2001, I helped the boys make masks and then they put on a little play of Julius Caesar:



Hiking to Emerald Lake with David and Dad, summer, 2001:

Career goals in 4th grade. I guess he hasn't really achieved those goals. Maybe someday!
Turning 9 years old:
Getting his Bobcat:




Vacationing in Mexico, July 2002:
In winter 2002, the Olympics came to Salt Lake City. Jan wrote an essay (because his mother required him to) and got to go the biathlon--because he wrote the essay. Scott went too as a chaperone.
Holding new baby brother, Talmage, 2002:
2002 was Jan's year for accidents. Jan's school class was playing kickball in the cafeteria without shoes on so they wouldn't mark up the floor. He slipped in his socks on the slippery floor as he was kicking and broke his arm. Afterwards, when I was feeling frustrated that this was a preventable accident, I told the principal that going without shoes seemed like a pretty bad idea.
Earlier that summer on July 4, 2002, Scott took the oldest five boys on a hike to Stewart Falls. he let David and Jan climb up pretty high and Jan fell when they were trying to come back down. He got a cut on his forehead which had to get glued shut when he went to the doctor later. Hiking out was an ordeal.
Jan's 10th birthday, displaying his presents:
Halloween, 2003 (Jan was a black-eyed pea holding Talmage the clown):

Summer 2003, Visiting Lehman Caves at Great Basin National Park:
These pictures remind me of how happy we are that Jan is part of our family. Happy Birthday, Jan!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Cousin Drew

 This last week, my brother and his wife lost a very precious son, just 13 years old. He collapsed while running with a cross-country team and passed away before he could be revived. Everyone that knew Drew is broken-hearted at this loss. He was the happiest, most agreeable kid we knew. I remember him being at my house without anyone close to his age to hang out with, so he found our Duplo blocks and started building even though it is a toy that boys his age don't usually enjoy. He was so content. He didn't complain that I ever remember. His mother always called him the perfect child. He will leave a big hole in not only his immediate family but our extended family as well.  Here is a poem my aunt shared that seems fitting: Leave Taking How I would have liked to wave goodbye  and watch until you turned and smiled and disappeared on the horizon. You who taught me to dance  and let me teach you,  who laughed at my stories  and winked at me when I was sad. I can  just see you trav

Remembering Drew

 This weekend we celebrated Drew's life. On Thursday night, we gathered as an extended family and had a dinner then sat in a big circle and talked about our memories of him. I took some notes and here is what people said. Grandpa (Gary Hansen):  The last time we saw Drew was last week on the 4th. I remember all the cousins on the trampoline, bouncing up and down and playing basketball. Grandma (Susan Hansen):  I asked Drew to come over last winter to teach my Activity Day boys how to make origami stars. He was very patient in working with them even though they were pretty clueless. Eventually they all went home happily with their stars. Paula: This last winter we invited Bruce and Michelle over for dinner and we didn't have anyone his age for him to hang out with. I remember that Drew found the Duplo blocks on his own and played with them all by himself, quite cheerfully entertaining himself. I asked him if he wanted to play with a different toy--maybe something more sophistica

Drew's Funeral

Yesterday was the viewing for Drew and then today was the funeral. There were a LOT of people at the viewing. Bruce and Michelle greeted people for almost four hours yesterday and then again this morning before the funeral. Bruce said that if weren't for Drew's death, it would be the best week of his life with so much love being shown to them. Friday actually began with a family run in Drew's honor. We started at a church by the new Lindon temple and ran to Bruce and Michelle's house with breakfast following. Friday night was the viewing. There was a very nice display of all things Drew. This was one of the pictures displayed and I recognized someone I know: We stood in line and the paramedics who worked on Drew stood in line behind us so we got to talk to them. Here's a fun fact:  They cover both Orem and Vineyard but Vineyard gets a lot more 911 calls than Orem per capita. It's a younger population and they are quicker to call. They said it's hard when the