Skip to main content

Book Review: Rearing Responsible Children

 
In my quest to read all the books on how to be a good parent, I read Rearing Responsible Children by David J. Cherrington.  I happened to meet the author back in high school because he was a chaperone on a band tour I went on (his son was about my age and in band) and I talked to him a few times and found him to be a good listener and a nice guy.  But besides all that, I found this book to be a hidden gem.  The cover could use some work but I found a lot of good writing and good information in this book and it's too bad it hasn't been more widely read.

This second edition was published by BYU in 1998  and it's obvious that a business professor wrote the book.  He uses a little business jargon and cites studies--but I love to read assertions backed up by data.

Maybe I liked this book because it agrees with so many of my own ideas about parenting. I won't try to summarize it because I really can't do it justice, but here are some ideas and quotes I liked from the book:

1.  His definition of authoritative parenting was one of the most clear I have read.  Here it is:

"Authoritative parents who have strict expectations, exert firm discipline, and are willing to explain their demands tend to raise socially responsible and well-adjusted children."  I see more explaining in my future.

2.  I liked the chapter on teaching responsibility through work--what a contrast with the last book I read on parenting.  In particular, he discusses the problem of keeping teenagers busy with real jobs.  This problem has been hitting home for me in the last few weeks with several teenagers at my house needing more work in their lives.  The author says, "Inadequate work opportunities for teenagers is a societal problem that has evolved over the past two centuries.  This problem will not be solved until there is a change in the Fair Labor Standards Act, which prohibits most employment opportunities for 14 and 15-year-olds...Parents need to be creative to find meaningful volunteer work or paid employment for their children."  I totally agree.  Teenagers have so much potential capability that is seriously under-utilized in our society.  A busy teenager engaged in productive work is so much happier and successful than one spending the day playing electronic games and generally wasting their lives.

3.  Have you ever gotten so tired of reminding your children about their responsibilities over and over and over and wondered if it was worth it?   I REALLY appreciated these words, "Parents must somehow make sure that the consequences for performing the task are more desirable than the consequences of failing to perform it.  This reality is very disappointing to parents who would like to see their children internally motivated to do good things without the parents having to reward or punish.  Over a long period of time, children acquire intrinsic rewards that will motivate them to perform on their own.  But while these intrinsic rewards and work values are being acquired, you will need to play a very active role in providing positive rewards and encouragement." (p. 163)

4.  He weighs in on the allowance vs. paying your children for doing jobs by saying that the question is probably not very important.  "The important fact is whether the parents have communicated firm expectations about the child's responsibility to help with family chores. "  I have been paying my children for the chores they are supposed to do around the house with a system of "points" that they turn in to get paid, but the reality is that I expect them to do the work whether or not they turn in the points to get paid.  So I'm considering going back to my old allowance format--I don't really think it makes much difference either.

He also says that the size of the allowance is not as critical as how they should be allowed to spend their money.  He says, "Just because children have saved their own money does not mean parents should let them spend it however they want.  It is not wrong for parents to influence and control a child's expectations...since the parents have a legal responsibility for their children's financial obligations until they reach age 18."  I do agree up to a point.  For the most part, I'm not going to control my children's small purchases so they can experience the buyer's regret that help you become a smarter consumer.  However, I do have a say in the clothes they buy with their own money and larger purchases they may make.

I'm glad I read this book and plan on reading it again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Cousin Drew

 This last week, my brother and his wife lost a very precious son, just 13 years old. He collapsed while running with a cross-country team and passed away before he could be revived. Everyone that knew Drew is broken-hearted at this loss. He was the happiest, most agreeable kid we knew. I remember him being at my house without anyone close to his age to hang out with, so he found our Duplo blocks and started building even though it is a toy that boys his age don't usually enjoy. He was so content. He didn't complain that I ever remember. His mother always called him the perfect child. He will leave a big hole in not only his immediate family but our extended family as well.  Here is a poem my aunt shared that seems fitting: Leave Taking How I would have liked to wave goodbye  and watch until you turned and smiled and disappeared on the horizon. You who taught me to dance  and let me teach you,  who laughed at my stories  and winked at me when I was sad. I can  just see you trav

Remembering Drew

 This weekend we celebrated Drew's life. On Thursday night, we gathered as an extended family and had a dinner then sat in a big circle and talked about our memories of him. I took some notes and here is what people said. Grandpa (Gary Hansen):  The last time we saw Drew was last week on the 4th. I remember all the cousins on the trampoline, bouncing up and down and playing basketball. Grandma (Susan Hansen):  I asked Drew to come over last winter to teach my Activity Day boys how to make origami stars. He was very patient in working with them even though they were pretty clueless. Eventually they all went home happily with their stars. Paula: This last winter we invited Bruce and Michelle over for dinner and we didn't have anyone his age for him to hang out with. I remember that Drew found the Duplo blocks on his own and played with them all by himself, quite cheerfully entertaining himself. I asked him if he wanted to play with a different toy--maybe something more sophistica

Drew's Funeral

Yesterday was the viewing for Drew and then today was the funeral. There were a LOT of people at the viewing. Bruce and Michelle greeted people for almost four hours yesterday and then again this morning before the funeral. Bruce said that if weren't for Drew's death, it would be the best week of his life with so much love being shown to them. Friday actually began with a family run in Drew's honor. We started at a church by the new Lindon temple and ran to Bruce and Michelle's house with breakfast following. Friday night was the viewing. There was a very nice display of all things Drew. This was one of the pictures displayed and I recognized someone I know: We stood in line and the paramedics who worked on Drew stood in line behind us so we got to talk to them. Here's a fun fact:  They cover both Orem and Vineyard but Vineyard gets a lot more 911 calls than Orem per capita. It's a younger population and they are quicker to call. They said it's hard when the