Skip to main content

Our Family Vacation: LDS Church History Sites

Our family recently took a marathon road trip.  We were gone 3 weeks and we drove 6000 miles.  We were in 20 states plus the District of Columbia and saw so many different sites.  I want to focus this post on the LDS church history sites we saw at the beginning of our trip up to Nauvoo and Carthage.

The LDS Church has devoted a lot of resources to building and maintaining historical sites important to their history.  I think they do it not only because these sites are somewhat sacred to us as a church but also as a missionary tool to introduce people to our beliefs.

Our first stop was Liberty Jail in Liberty, MO.  Joseph Smith was imprisoned here for several months and received several important revelations here.  I have been here several times and always like going.  It's a sacred place.

They took the remains of the jail and built a visitor's center around it.  I can't remember what percent of it is originial.  Down below the floor in the picture is the jail where they have placed life-sized figures of Joseph Smith and his fellow prisoners.

After Liberty Jail, my husband and my brother took the teenagers in our two families and did baptisms at the Kansas City Temple while my sister-in-law and I took care of the younger children and had lunch nearby.  I wish I could have seen more of the temple.  My sister-in-law pointed out that one motif in the temple is the olive tree which represents peace in our time between the LDS people and the people in Missouri which they did not have in the 1830's.
My youngest with their youngest two (twins)


On our way to Nauvoo, we also stopped at Adam-ondi-Ahman.  This is the place that LDS people believe that Adam gathered his posterity before he died.  There is not much here but it's a lovely place and we enjoy taking the walk down the trail (with plenty of bug spray on.)


Our family with my brother's family at Adam-ondi-Ahman.  We stayed with them for a few days and here is where we said goodbye.  We really enjoyed seeing them.

We got to Nauvoo on the day after Memorial Day.  I thought this was a great time to visit--not too hot or crowded although the air conditioning in almost all the sites was very much appreciated.  We spent two nights and one day which was not much time for all the sites there are to see.  However, we have visited Nauvoo several times with the last time being in 2007 when we were in the pageant so we are already familiar with it.  And we will be back again!

We stayed in the Nauvoo Log Cabins in Nauvoo.  We were in the Nixon cabin which has beds for 10.  We enjoyed our stay there.  Our 10-year-old got sick with stomach flu the morning we were there so he missed most of our sightseeing but fortunately no one else got sick.

We started out our day with a wagon ride.  We lucked out because we didn't have tickets but they had room for us and let us on without having to wait.  This is a fun way to see Nauvoo and rest your feet!  Later we visited the blacksmith shop, the shoemaker shop, the school, the brickyard, the family living center where the kids got to make a rope, watch a candle-making demonstration, etc.  We enjoyed hearing from the missionaries and would have enjoyed learning more.

On the wagon ride, a brick house in Nauvoo.  You see a disportionate number of brick houses because those are the ones that survived.

With two of my girls in the Relief Society garden outside of the Visitors' Center.
In the Family Living Center, learning how to make rope.

My daughter was quite pleased with the rope she got to keep that the children helped make.
My children enjoyed playing pioneer games with two sticks and a hoop.

The following morning, on our way out, we stopped at Carthage Jail which is about 45 minutes away from Nauvoo.  We were the first ones to go through and enjoyed our personal tour.  A good description of the events that happened there is here.


In front of the Carthage Jail, by the statue of Joseph and Hyrum Smith who were martyred together here.

The actual door with a bullet hole in it.

The rest of the day we spent traveling to Kirtland, Ohio, about 8 hours away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Cousin Drew

 This last week, my brother and his wife lost a very precious son, just 13 years old. He collapsed while running with a cross-country team and passed away before he could be revived. Everyone that knew Drew is broken-hearted at this loss. He was the happiest, most agreeable kid we knew. I remember him being at my house without anyone close to his age to hang out with, so he found our Duplo blocks and started building even though it is a toy that boys his age don't usually enjoy. He was so content. He didn't complain that I ever remember. His mother always called him the perfect child. He will leave a big hole in not only his immediate family but our extended family as well.  Here is a poem my aunt shared that seems fitting: Leave Taking How I would have liked to wave goodbye  and watch until you turned and smiled and disappeared on the horizon. You who taught me to dance  and let me teach you,  who laughed at my stories  and winked at me when I was sad. I can  just see you trav

Remembering Drew

 This weekend we celebrated Drew's life. On Thursday night, we gathered as an extended family and had a dinner then sat in a big circle and talked about our memories of him. I took some notes and here is what people said. Grandpa (Gary Hansen):  The last time we saw Drew was last week on the 4th. I remember all the cousins on the trampoline, bouncing up and down and playing basketball. Grandma (Susan Hansen):  I asked Drew to come over last winter to teach my Activity Day boys how to make origami stars. He was very patient in working with them even though they were pretty clueless. Eventually they all went home happily with their stars. Paula: This last winter we invited Bruce and Michelle over for dinner and we didn't have anyone his age for him to hang out with. I remember that Drew found the Duplo blocks on his own and played with them all by himself, quite cheerfully entertaining himself. I asked him if he wanted to play with a different toy--maybe something more sophistica

Drew's Funeral

Yesterday was the viewing for Drew and then today was the funeral. There were a LOT of people at the viewing. Bruce and Michelle greeted people for almost four hours yesterday and then again this morning before the funeral. Bruce said that if weren't for Drew's death, it would be the best week of his life with so much love being shown to them. Friday actually began with a family run in Drew's honor. We started at a church by the new Lindon temple and ran to Bruce and Michelle's house with breakfast following. Friday night was the viewing. There was a very nice display of all things Drew. This was one of the pictures displayed and I recognized someone I know: We stood in line and the paramedics who worked on Drew stood in line behind us so we got to talk to them. Here's a fun fact:  They cover both Orem and Vineyard but Vineyard gets a lot more 911 calls than Orem per capita. It's a younger population and they are quicker to call. They said it's hard when the