Skip to main content

Arizona Temples

 About 5-6 years ago, I made a goal to visit 50 temples by the time I turned 50. Sadly, I did not make it. It was an overly ambitious goal for that time in my life. But I kept plugging away. And then COVID hit and I couldn't go to any temple at all for well over a year. But this last fall, I decided to go for it. In November, Scott and I went to Colorado to visit two temples there. Then last week, we went to Arizona to visit 4 temples in 2 days. That gave me my 50! It has been interesting to think about how my temple experience has changed over the years and become much more meaningful to me. I so appreciate my husband coming with me--that made it even better. Because he sometimes stayed with our children instead of going into the temple with me, he has only been in 46. But soon we'll get his 50.

It was an amazing trip. I enjoyed it so much. Here are some pictures of the temples we visited and the beautiful gardens around them. I loved seeing the landscapes created around the temples that very much fit the climate and environment.

We arrived on Thursday night and stayed in Mesa. The next morning we went to the Mesa Temple which was very recently renovated and rededicated. As I sat in the chapel, I remembered that my 2nd great-grandmother had worked in this temple. She is one of my heroes and I loved feeling this connection with her.  According to her biography, she spent 14 winters at the end of her life, working in this temple.









The next temple we went to was the Gilbert Arizona temple. It was about 45 minutes away. 

















After Gilbert, we drove to Tucson and spent the night there. The following morning, we went to the Tucson temple. Here is a nice picture of it from the church website:












Those spiky sticks are the ocotillo plant. I really want to go back to Arizona when they are blooming.








That afternoon, we visited the Phoeniz temple.













A motif in this temple is the ocotillo plant which you can see in the stained glass windows.






If you ever have a chance to do a temple "blitz", you should take it.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hansen Family Reunion 2026, Wednesday and Thursday

 We had another Hansen Family Reunion at Bear Lake! In total, there were 93 of us there with 11 missing--our biggest yet! We enjoyed seeing everyone and catching up a little bit. Here are some pictures. My goal was to get a picture of everyone, so if you don't see a picture of yourself, keep scrolling. Also, more individuals coming on the post for Friday. Sorry for the weird angles on some of them. Michelle made dinner the first night, chicken and vegetables with Michelle's specialty--lots of sides and plenty of leftovers. After dinner and clean-up, we had a FHE lesson outside on the lawn with Melanie in charge of the lesson after a few raucous songs. The newest addition to the family, #103. On Thursday morning, Kent and Melanie chaired breakfast with eggs and sausage and plenty for everyone. The cook with his breakfast sandwich: After breakfast, some of the group went rock-climbing, courtesy of Everett, David, and Susanna while more people went on a hike--the Limber Pine Hike....

Visiting Susquehanna: The Priesthood Restoration Site

On our way home from Palmyra, we decided to go a couple of hours out of our way to visit the recently opened Priesthood Restoration Site along the Susquehanna River.  This is where we believe that Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery received the keys of the Aaronic Priesthood from John the Baptist which gave them the authority to baptize.  This site also has the restored Isaac and Elizabeth Hale home where Joseph and Emma lived for a year as well as the home where Joseph and Emma lived on their own. We spent a couple of hours there and I wouldn't have minded a few more minutes but we had a long way to go that night.  It's a beautiful setting, very much in rural Pennsylvania.  However, on the day we were there, cars at a racetrack nearby were detracting from the peace and quiet.  I'm guessing that's not as big of a problem on weekdays. The Hale Family was quite well-off for their day so their home was probably nicely decorated with wallpaper and carpet. ...

Nauvoo Pageant!

I have been a negligent blogger this last month.  My reason is that we have been super busy.  At the end of July, we went to the Nauvoo Pageant.  We were able to participate once again in the Gold Cast like we did in 2007 and 2014.  We picked up our daughter at the end of her cross country camp in Price, Utah on our way out of town.  Then we drove to our friends' house in Golden, Colorado near Denver to stay the night.  It was fun to reconnect if only briefly.  The next night we were in Lawrence, Kansas, visiting my brother and sister-in-law and their family.  That was also fun but short.  We left the next morning, attending nearby church before taking off.  We arrived in Nauvoo around 4pm with just enough time to have dinner at our cabin before going to our orientation at the pageant building. The next day we went to the pageant building to get our costumes and to learn how to do our hair in the 1840 styles. ...